Central idaho mountain goat

New here, bit of a long shot. Looking to connect with someone who has hunted the idaho unit 50* (49 and most of 50) mountain goat. Thanks

Broomd

WKR
My wife got an old goat with this tag in '09. We did hundreds of miles that season, I had also drawn ID bighorn that year so to say we were fit is an understatement.

Happy to share some info if you plan on sticking around this forum. Too many guys come here for OIL tag info and blow dodge after they've gotten what they want.

Let me know, I'll be here.

Attachments

• PIC_0039 2.jpg
    PIC_0039 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 152
OP
W
My wife got an old goat with this tag in '09. We did hundreds of miles that season, I had also drawn ID bighorn that year so to say we were fit is an understatement.

Happy to share some info if you plan on sticking around this forum. Too many guys come here for OIL tag info and blow dodge after they've gotten what they want.

That’s awesome man. A goat tag and a sheep tag the same year! Yeah, I’d love to connect with you somehow and talk. I’m fairly local to the area so I know the area well but I know a lot of things change with goats.

idahodave

WKR
Broomd is the real deal fwtw.

Met him in N Idaho on a deer hunt several years ago, and he couldn’t have been a nicer guy. The man is an accomplished hunter and one of the smarter individuals Ive ever crossed paths with.

I’d suggest taking him up on any advice you can possibly get out of him.

Dave

OP
W
Broomd is the real deal fwtw.

Met him in N Idaho on a deer hunt several years ago, and he couldn’t have been a nicer guy. The man is an accomplished hunter and one of the smarter individuals Ive ever crossed paths with.

I’d suggest taking him up on any advice you can possibly get out of him.

Dave
Good to know!

How did your hunt go? I just drew this tag and have been scouring the Idaho goat posts. I’ve not hunted over there but have played in buggies and camped there off and on for 15 years.
As Broomd said, I don’t want to be an info mooch but here I am haha

OP
W
How did your hunt go? I just drew this tag and have been scouring the Idaho goat posts. I’ve not hunted over there but have played in buggies and camped there off and on for 15 years.
As Broomd said, I don’t want to be an info mooch but here I am haha
Hey man, I don’t blame you for wanting any info you can get. It was awesome. Ended up killing an old nanny with 8 1/4 “ horns both sides one was broke off. Fish and game aged her 8-12 years old with possibly a sick year or two where her growth was stunted. Didn’t intend to shoot a nanny (that was my #1 goal and i blew it haha) but so goes life. If you wanna find goats, prepare to have jelly legs and fried lungs all summer and hope that it goes away by the time your hunt opens. Even more so if you wanna find a nice Billy.

As far as finding goats in general, it’s not hard to do. I found goats in a lot of drainages and never had a scouting day all summer that we didn’t find goats. I am friends with a Fish and Game biologist and she gave me some good Intel on population etc. the pioneers have a very healthy widespread goat population. Just have to go to them. Which is high up in the rocks. Would love to connect with you sometime somehow and chat about a few things that might help you that I really really wish I knew beforehand.

I understand the frustration of long time/consistent contributors when FNG's show up and disappear. I've been a lurker here for years (and before I made my account) and I have always been able to find the info I need just by searching, thanks to the input of the high post count guys. Most of my hunting experiences have been what I consider "pretty average" so I dont usually feel like I have much to contribute but hopefully that will change with this tag and I will actually gain some knowledge worth passing on and share my experiences scouting. And with some luck, a post hunt celebration! Anyway, I hear what you are saying guys and don't blame you.

Weirdguy, I will send you a PM so we can hopefully connect. Thank you all!