Central Florida Trip Advice for March

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen threads on here in the past similar to this and have gotten some great information from them so I thought I’d give it a try. I have an Osceola turkey hunt booked for mid-March south of Orlando to complete my slam and I would like to piggy back a vacation onto the trip for my wife and I. We are planning on heading down a week before the hunt and would like to hear some suggestions of some fun things to see and do in the area other than Disney and the big parks (Sea World, Universal, etc.). We would like to maybe see the coast? We enjoy outdoor activities. Fishing? Good food? Sampling small town bars/restaurants? Music? Anything within about a 2-3 hour drive of Orlando would be fair game. We were excited to check out bike week in Daytona but we’ll be there the week after that. Any suggestions from others than have done it or know the area well would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Rich M

WKR
Don't forget to use the search function. I wrote up a bunch of stuff within the past month or so.

Loper

WKR
Good call on not going to the big theme parks. Some people from different areas of the country want to see alligators. If so, you can go to GatorLand or do airboat ride at places like Black Hammock or Wild Florida. Wild Florida and GatorLand are south of Orlando and are likely not far from where you’ll be hunting.

St. Augustine is a couple hours northeast of Orlando. The historic side of town is walkable and interesting. There’s a bunch of shops and restaurants. You can also charter a fishing guide there. if your wife doesn’t like fishing, there’s plenty for her to do and see in the historic district.

Last edited:
My oceola hunt was over in 30 minutes, go bow fishing at night or gator hunting. Definitely go fishing.

CorbLand

WKR
It’s been 15 or so year but if you can watch a space shuttle launch, it was really cool. Kennedy Space Center is worth it as well.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
Don't forget to use the search function. I wrote up a bunch of stuff within the past month or so.
I searched for Florida under your handle and nothing came up. What what the thread title? Thank you.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the responses and please keep them coming!

Rich M

WKR
Hmmm.

Blue springs or haulover canal at Merritt island NWR for manatees

MINWR for birds and gators

Daytona Race Track is impressive if you like that stuff, they have a tour.

St Augustine has a fort and historical stuff

Daytona has light house and beach, same for St Augustine.

NASA has a nice space museum. If there is a launch, you can see it if within 50 miles. Closer is of course neater. Port Canaveral has a park - Jetty Park. It will be packed but good place to watch. Same for manatee observation deck at MINWR.

You could hop an airboat ride without too much trouble. About every road that crosses st johns river has them.

If you want, head down to Venice FL to play on beach and search for fossilized shark teeth. Not very difficult.

Crystal River is another drive but you can swim w the manatees in super clear 72 or 75 degree water. It is pretty neat.

Marineworld north of Daytona has swim w the dolphins…

I havent been to a theme park since 1997 but they are still there w lotsa folks enjoying them daily.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm.

Blue springs or haulover canal at Merritt island NWR for manatees

MINWR for birds and gators

Daytona Race Track is impressive if you like that stuff, they have a tour.

St Augustine has a fort and historical stuff

Daytona has light house and beach, same for St Augustine.

NASA has a nice space museum. If there is a launch, you can see it if within 50 miles. Closer is of course neater. Port Canaveral has a park - Jetty Park. It will be packed but good place to watch. Same for manatee observation deck at MINWR.

You could hop an airboat ride without too much trouble. About every road that crosses st johns river has them.

If you want, head down to Venice FL to play on beach and search for fossilized shark teeth. Not very difficult.

Crystal River is another drive but you can swim w the manatees in super clear 72 or 75 degree water. It is pretty neat.

Marineworld north of Daytona has swim w the dolphins…

I havent been to a theme park since 1997 but they are still there w lotsa folks enjoying them daily.
The springs are definitely Florida’s most underrated outdoors activity, particularly if you’re a decent swimmer and get into the caves a little. March could be cold by Florida standards, or if not it’ll be spring break so the springs may be busy.

Bass fishing might be the best in the country and definitely worth it if you have the time/budget, saltwater is fun if you don’t normally get to do it.

PNWGATOR

WKR
The Front Porch. Dunellon, FL

Find an airboat tour. Swampys is a restaurant in Dunellon and they have airboat tours too.

Homosassa State Park.

Go canoeing. Wekiva River north of Orlando is great.

Go to the space coast and see all of NASA. Coco beach and get a shirt from Ron Jon’s

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
West coast is father to beach then east coast will be. But that is were most activity is. Remember I4 is a mess.

I’ll second the springs, there’s a few. Should have plenty of manatees.

Fishing near Steinhatchee Should be good. Tampa area has had problems lately.

Ft Desoto is a nice park. Rent kayaks & nice beach.

Drive towards Clearwater you’ll find Shepards. Its on the water and has a great brunch.

Skyway bridge has a fishing pier. Or pull over and hang out in bayside or ocean.

May want to rethink Bike week, its a mess and something bad always happens.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info. Like usual, there's going to be more options than time but it sounds like we'll have a bunch of things to choose from. Thank you for the responses!

Lake Okeechobee largemouth bass fishing would be great. Don't know particular guide but search and you ll find some. Skippers Smokehouse in Tampa for live music. Good luck on your turkey hunt. Them Osceolas get some monstrous spurs on em!

Rich M

WKR
The Front Porch. Dunellon, FL

Find an airboat tour. Swampys is a restaurant in Dunellon and they have airboat tours too.

Homosassa State Park.

Go canoeing. Wekiva River north of Orlando is great.

Go to the space coast and see all of NASA. Coco beach and get a shirt from Ron Jon’s

All good!

I totally forgot about Ron Jons - its like having a HardRock T-shirt, but more respected by locals anyway. Rent a surf board while in Cocoa and do some surfing.

Go checkout Manatee Springs State Park or Blue Spring State Park. Blue Spring stays around 72 degrees all year round and there are over 700 manatees.

Also, if it's warm enough, I highly recommend Ichetucknee Springs.