Casual lightweight softshell

TheCougar

WKR
I travel as part of my job… a lot of travel. I’ve got a lightweight arcteryx puffy that I use as my winter jacket, but I need something I can wear over my uniform from late spring through early fall. I’m looking for recommendations for a jacket that meets the following criteria:
1. Softshell: breathable, but with enough DWR properties that it can keep me fairly dry for 5 minutes of rain exposure.
2. Lightweight: it must be compact and lightweight because I live out of my suitcase. Warmth is not a priority. I actually want little insulation, beyond keeping me dry in a brief drizzle and maybe keeping the chill off at temps around 50F.
3. It must be a full zip, no hood, and available in black so I can wear it in uniform and easy on/off.
4. Hunting companies are a plus, but I care more about functionality than anything.

I’ve started looking and found the Arcteryx Gamma LT, which might be about right. I can’t find it around me to try on, however. Any other options you might recommend?

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
Our company hands out North face and Patagonia soft shells as our higher end jackets, the soft-shells for salesman and management just depending which one you like the feel of. both fit your bill…. Water proof ish, wind proof ish, and light ish, for a soft shell. Thanks!

The OR ferosi is light and breathable. Like mine And preferee the fit over the gamma. In fairness, I was looking for something fairly light. Lighter weight than my jetstream. fairly cheap.

kuiu rubicon might work. I have to size up in their jackets FWIW.

Mcnasty

FNG
There are a number of alternatives to tradition soft shells you might look at. Check out the Sitka Ambient or sitka arrowhead(Berry Compliant line) MLX or marmot driclimb wind shirt. Sort of a hybrid between a water resistant wind layer and a light insulating mid layer. I would rate all of these lower on durability than a traditional scholar soft shell but typically they breath much better and are much lighter and for me layer much better. I traveled with a marmot wind and a hard shell for years and have I have replaced my stiffer heavier the soft shells with an MLX hoody for hunting. If it wasn't multi cam I would travel with it all the time over the multiple other soft shells. jus my 2 cents.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
The OR ferosi is light and breathable. Like mine And preferee the fit over the gamma. In fairness, I was looking for something fairly light. Lighter weight than my jetstream. fairly cheap.

I found that gear test also. I may check out the mammut also

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

Was the gamma fabric stiff and clammy, or plasticy?

Was the gamma fabric stiff and clammy, or plasticy?
I don’t really think so But it was Catch and release for me. In fairness, I didn’t care for the fit in the shoulders and it was too close to my jetstream in terms of warmth so I returned it.

ruralsoup

FNG
Beyond Clothing's Velox Light Softshell L5 Jacket might be good. It's on sale for 45 right now, 135 msrp.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
The Columbia ascender has become my favorite go-to soft shell for around town and rainy t-ball games. Hits most of your criteria and is very reasonably priced:

Looks like a brushed fleece lining. I’m looking for something without a fleece lining. Basically no lining or a mesh lining. But thank you for the recommendation!

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe check out Kuhl? I got the Impakt jacket in the link for pretty much exactly what you described. Wind resistant and good for a quick rain shower moving between buildings. I think the only criteria it lacks a bit on is it doesn't pack down super small, but I still travel with it without a problem