Cartridge OAL and TTSX bullets

Question, in researching loads that might work with my Kimber I saw the ttsx mentioned a lot. I also saw that people tended to load them shorter OAL than standard (2.735 vs2.8 in 308 Winchester). Barnes’ reloading guide says exactly that.

I loaded some up and it’s basically the only load that will shoot well from my Kimber. The question in my mind is WHY??? What is it that makes the coppers like to jump? My other question is should I try loading other bullets with a shorter OAL? Anyone see any issues with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot what is accurate in the gun. The TTSX does well in yours.

Why not try others at shorter OAL, no issue there. Part of load development is playing with powder charge and seating depth.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Projectiles shooting well a bit shorter lends well to good accuracy in factory ammo that has to fit many production rifles and also for reloaders using those same rifles limited by mag length.

There's no reason to not try shorter OAL as long as it's not shorter than book minimum, which is generally on the short side.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
I remember reading somewhere that one theory on the jump is that it takes a little more for the rifling to engrave the mono bullets than a jacketed bullet, so the extra jump lets it hit the rifling going a little bit faster.
With the OAL, you might want to get an OAL gauge measure to your lands to see what the actual distance you're jumping is, and then you will know if you can also go the other direction too.

sdupontjr

WKR
My experience with the ttsx in particular the 130 ttsx for 308, my loads are 2.825" which will fit mag length. Now my tikka t3 has a long action bolt stop and L mags so I'm not limited to my mags but the kids Rem 700 308's are. I took the advise of someone on the site and loaded them to 2.825" and they shot very well over a hot load of 50g of TAC that I worked up to. However after looking at the Barnes site, they recommend 2.735" as you mentioned. My plan is the try at that length and do a load work up to see if I can get my groups any tighter, but that will happen after hunting season. Barnes recommends at least .050 jump for their bullets and at 2.825", I'm at .115", going to 2.735" would be alot more jump at .205"

OP
C
I worked up a 150 ttsx load over the weekend and shot it today (47 grn RL15) Great group loaded to Barnes specs at 2.735. but it works!

OP
C
What is your DTL?

I’m not sure. I messed with that once, But realized my magazine is super short and I couldn’t lengthen much at all. Once I found that the shorter loads worked well I kinda gave up on caring about that.