Career choice advice

JFK

WKR
The difference in time off between a firefighter on the old school Kelly schedule and a 48/96 is drastic. Yes, you are working the same hours, but the time off on the Kelly isn’t as usable and it much harder to get large blocks of time off. We are on 48/96 at my dept, and while nothing is perfect, getting time off is not an issue for us.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Ha! I have worked on the labor side and bargained a contract, so in a way you called it.

Everyone looks at things differently, and every department is different, so there's a lot of different perspectives out there. YMMV, as they say.

From your post, it sounds like you might be closer to starting out in the fire service. Glad you're enjoying it and I hope you always continue to see it as a good choice. I hope, too, that you can at least appreciate how an opinion evolves over the course of a career and, further, after going through major changes in life. When I was young and single I enjoyed the schedule a lot more. Since having a family, a lot of the downsides to the schedule and the job in general have become much more impactful.

I enjoy the job and I'd do it again. Not trying to get down on it or keep anyone who has a drive to do it out of it, just trying to help others make a well informed choice on a big decision.
For sure brother, I am 5 years deep in it, so barely any time on the job, I work at the biggest department in my state, we work the modified Kelly so 48 hrs a week. Our pay I think is fair… younger guys that missed the housing boom don’t have a home think it’s not enough. But you are right it’s not all sunshine and unicorns. I’m at a middle of the road house 3k calls a year on the engine 2.3k on the truck, definitely lose some sleep, and I don’t love running a lot of drug addicted bums, but my crew is amazing, we have fun and make the best of it. Definitely some changes after getting married and having a kid now, but I try to see the positives… since I have another 20 years of this at least haha 😂 can’t be too salty just yet

I agree with the guys saying lineman. But they’re leaving out the most important part, which is IBEW union lineman.

I started out in line work in about 2003 with a small local non union co-op that had an apprenticeship that didn’t amount to anything for about 4.5yrs. Then I went to a local union utility (AEP) that had a real apprenticeship that I completed and got my Journeyman certification in 2010. I was working and making money the whole time and they were paying me my regular wages while I was in class. I was with them for 12 years had 401k and about 4 weeks of vacation a year and was making about 90k with about 150hrs of ot a year (in Oklahoma). Compared to what I have now that’s all trash.

I quit that company in July 2019 to go to California and work through the union hall. From July 7th to sept 7th of 2019 I made 70k. I quit and took 6months off from work. Since then I go back to CA in March and I quit at the end of august. In 2020 I made 170k in 5.5 months and took off for 6.5 months to do exactly whatever the hell I wanted to do. This year I’ll have worked about 4.5 months and prob made around 110-120k. I really don’t see myself being employed during hunting season ever again. Right now the local 1245 journeyman pay scale is $64.40hr, all overtime is double time and in the area I’m at it $200 per diem. I think they’re putting around 16% in my retirement (I could be wrong about that). In New Jersey I believe it’s 42% in your retirement.

With your journeyman certificate you can work out of any local union hall in the country that has a call for lineman. Once you become a journeyman YOU decide where you want to work, for how long, and how much time you want to take off.

The smart ones hit it hard for a few years then go home to pay cash for a new house and land then live their lives raising their cows. And even if that doesn’t workout you’ll always be a journeyman lineman and can go right back to it.

You’re welcome to pm me if you’re interested.

Mojave

WKR
If you wanna own a ranch find a rancher daughter. I’m a lineman felt the same way about a trade over a desk job. If you really wanna make money as a trade worker you need to be smart about it and go into business for yourself. You don’t get rich working for other people. You’ll probably wanna work for someone for a few years but be preparing yourself to go out on your own. I have buddy that does hvac and is killing it for himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This the only way you are going to find one is to marry one in college.

You will rarely have exposure to them anywhere else at the marrying age.

For sure brother, I am 5 years deep in it, so barely any time on the job, I work at the biggest department in my state, we work the modified Kelly so 48 hrs a week. Our pay I think is fair… younger guys that missed the housing boom don’t have a home think it’s not enough. But you are right it’s not all sunshine and unicorns. I’m at a middle of the road house 3k calls a year on the engine 2.3k on the truck, definitely lose some sleep, and I don’t love running a lot of drug addicted bums, but my crew is amazing, we have fun and make the best of it. Definitely some changes after getting married and having a kid now, but I try to see the positives… since I have another 20 years of this at least haha 😂 can’t be too salty just yet
Working a 48 vs a 56 is huge over the course of a career, and it would factor highly into choosing a department to work for if I were in the job market right now.

We are still working a 56 on a cali schedule. There's an option to take holiday pay as time to bring the overall hours worked down, but it has to be scheduled after all other time off, so it's not all that popular. A regularly pre-scheduled hour reduction day is by far the way to go.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Working a 48 vs a 56 is huge over the course of a career, and it would factor highly into choosing a department to work for if I were in the job market right now.

We are still working a 56 on a cali schedule. There's an option to take holiday pay as time to bring the overall hours worked down, but it has to be scheduled after all other time off, so it's not all that popular. A regularly pre-scheduled hour reduction day is by far the way to go.
I agree it is a big difference, but really we should both be looking north to Seattle and the 42 hour work week. How those guys were able to do that is amazing. Requires a D shift and a ton of extra bodies but it’s what every department should strive for

There is your answer kid, go work for SeattleFD, but before you do marry an ultra rich ranchers daughter, who is an only child 👍

Last edited:

bluumoon

WKR
I feel fortunate to love what I do as a CRNA, but I worked some crap jobs to get to the good one. I get paid exceedingly well, lots of time of, and if your prefer rural that is where the best jobs are. My route involved lots of debt, but there are better paths. Associates from community college (get a tech job in an ICU during school), immediately get job in highest acuity ICU possible, get hospital to pay for Bachelor's while you are working 3 days a week and pay off asscociates. After 2 years apply to CRNA school (preferably cheapest with exposure to independent practice) get accepted--> go travel nurse and bank $ for school. Do 1099 out of school, not W2 and pay off debt in 1-2 years.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Find something you really like and become an expert. Gain experience and then start your own company. Find your niche hopefully in a field that is in high demand. Build your company and make good money then sell it while you are still relatively young and buy your ranch.

WKR
Find something you really like and become an expert. Gain experience and then start your own company. Find your niche hopefully in a field that is in high demand. Build your company and make good money then sell it while you are still relatively young and buy your ranch.
Yep, it's just that easy...

manitou1

WKR
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is a man who has come alive."
--Howard Thurman

The vast majority of men do what they think they have to do... for society... for their family... for recognition. That vast majority are a shell of what they could have potentially been. They settle. They then get married and have families and then wake up one morning wondering what became of their dreams.
Do what sets your heart on fire and success will follow. You will be a better husband and father... and a better, happier man for it.

WKR
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is a man who has come alive."
--Howard Thurman

The vast majority of men do what they think they have to do... for society... for their family... for recognition. That vast majority are a shell of what they could have potentially been. They settle. They then get married and have families and then wake up one morning wondering what became of their dreams.
Do what sets your heart on fire and success will follow. You will be a better husband and father... and a better, happier man for it.
This is what leads to art history and philosophy majors who work at Starbucks and complain about they were exploited by profit driven education systems.

Ideally, there must be a balance between what you like, what you're good at, and what the world will pay you to do.

Mojave

WKR
This is what leads to art history and philosophy majors who work at Starbucks and complain about they were exploited by profit driven education systems.

Ideally, there must be a balance between what you like, what you're good at, and what the world will pay you to do.

One of my employee's wife is currently in a $40,000 masters of art program.

She was a $80,000 a year paralegal.

It wouldn't be so bad if she was a really good artist. She is not! If Van Gogh took a meth shot, and was only 8 years old he would be a better artist than she is.

Any education decision should be based on what the end state financially will be.

manitou1

WKR

And see how happy that "World" makes you. Ask yourself... and be honest to yourself: "Am I truly happy with what I am doing... is it my passion?" Most of us seek recognition and fortune in lieu of what we are really passionate about. And most of us settled for what we "thought" was our place in the world die to perspectives and social norms.
A person that truly pursues what drives them and not what the world says they should do may fail... but you can fail at any other endeavor. But when they succeed... those are the people who change the world, the social presets and their own lives.
You think Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerburg, Bill Gates, Johnny Morris, Bill Jordan or Donald Trump "settled" for the norms in there young lives? No, I am not fans of some of those but they all chased dreams and became multi-millionares and billionares... and made huge impacts.

There is a difference between reality and non-reality. The average Joe knows a degree in philosophy and five bucks will get you a coffee because history has proven so.
Regardless, if a person has enough fire... enough passion, even some of the Arts majors would be successful. They depend on the degree to get them success instead of chasing success with work ethic and inginuity.

I am also a "settler" and never truly did what my heart desired. I did things that challenged me, made me proud and gave a good retirement, but it wasn't what I deep down truly was on fire for. I did participate in additional endeavors that produced good results and fed my true passions though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

As a recent student I can say that the profit driven mentality has spread to other careers that have a better more realistic outcome. Unfortunately it’s diluted the quality and increased the time to get said education and into the field.

11boo

WKR
My son went to a Junior College for a Wind Turbine Tech. Upon finishing he was immediately hired by Vail Resorts as a full maintenance electrician at Keystone. Did that for 5 years.

Two months ago he applied for a different job and now is an Electrical Commercial Service Tech for Tesla - maintaining 900v super charger stations

He’ll be making $100k/yr and he’s only 25.

It’s out there, go get it.

Absolutely there are good paying jobs that don’t suck, or need a college degree.

I made excellent money as a commercial, then industrial electricial Jman, then master electrician. Tried the union way for about 9 months, IBEW was not for me. I ended up hiring some of the good union hands for my company, and they did well too.

11boo

WKR
In the Great Plains I'd say electrician that specializes in center pivots. Expect a 7 day work week in the summer and time off during hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
That would be a good niche. I did a couple and they are neat.

Wags

WKR
And see how happy that "World" makes you. Ask yourself... and be honest to yourself: "Am I truly happy with what I am doing... is it my passion?" Most of us seek recognition and fortune in lieu of what we are really passionate about. And most of us settled for what we "thought" was our place in the world die to perspectives and social norms.
A person that truly pursues what drives them and not what the world says they should do may fail... but you can fail at any other endeavor. But when they succeed... those are the people who change the world, the social presets and their own lives.
You think Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerburg, Bill Gates, Johnny Morris, Bill Jordan or Donald Trump "settled" for the norms in there young lives? No, I am not fans of some of those but they all chased dreams and became multi-millionares and billionares... and made huge impacts.

There is a difference between reality and non-reality. The average Joe knows a degree in philosophy and five bucks will get you a coffee because history has proven so.
Regardless, if a person has enough fire... enough passion, even some of the Arts majors would be successful. They depend on the degree to get them success instead of chasing success with work ethic and inginuity.

I am also a "settler" and never truly did what my heart desired. I did things that challenged me, made me proud and gave a good retirement, but it wasn't what I deep down truly was on fire for. I did participate in additional endeavors that produced good results and fed my true passions though.

Well said, you pretty much put me in a box with this. Great advice.