Carbon vs cerakote for weatherproofing bbl?

Sled

WKR
I'm looking to pick up a carbon barrel for the thicker profile, less weight and larger muzzle thread (for suppressor).

All other marketing hype aside, does carbon fiber keep your stainless/CM bbl from rusting underneath? I hunt in the rain and snow and it has always bothered me when I take a rifle out of a stock and see rust spots in the hard to reach areas. Cerakote fixes that as does pulling the stock off and wiping down the steel regularly. So, is the barrel just rusting inside the carbon or does the resin isolate and protect the steel?

Mag_7s

WKR
This is a really good question and I hope you get some input on this from those who have experienced or know of some carbon barrels failures. I believe Proof uses 416R stainless, which is pretty corrosion resistant but any moisture getting under the carbon wrap I would think would be detrimental.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I'm guessing it's a non issue with the lack of replies. I just don't want to pick one up just to have it delaminate due to rust after I get it shooting well.

Mag_7s

WKR
Agreed, especially for the price and what it costs to get it fit and chambered. I just received my Proof carbon and I'm hoping it's a non issue.

Never had any issues with my ceracoated gun with proof barrel.. never pulled the action out of the stock either.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Do some research on the weight aspect. I've got a built R700 w/Proof carbon in a McMillan, and a Seekins Precision PH1. Both weight fairly close under 10lbs on the scale with MK5 scopes on them.

As far as the carbon wrap protecting/sealing the barrel underneath: I'd think it's more a matter of the resin or other materials adhering the wrap to the barrel, not to mention the heating/proofing process to cure the carbon wrapping along with the tension applied during the wrapping process.

264 MHC

FNG
That is an interesting question. Just from looking over and feeling carbon barrels, I'm pretty sure Proof, Carbon 6 and others laminate the Carbon directly to the steel, likely with some form of vacuum bagging. Applying resin in a vacuum, if done properly, should prevent any voids in the layup and give a perfect resin to cloth ratio. I wouldn't think corrosion would be an issue if this is in fact how they do it because there shouldn't be any voids between the steel and carbon to collect moisture.

There are sleeved barrels like the BSF's, and I hadn't thought of it before, but I could see corrosion being an issue with those. I think there is an air gap between the carbon and steel with those from looking at the pictures.

I don't personally have any knowledge on how they are actually made so this is all just an assumption on my part. I do know about laminating with epoxy and fiberglass and have seen what salt water can do to even very stainless steels like 316L in small nooks and crannies.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone knows more about this.