Carbon stock Arca Rail

ehayes

FNG
I’m considering making the switch to Arca rail for optics and rifle to tripod connection.
I’m running a Mesa Precisionstock, but this thread should apply to most any Carbon stock.
The SRS Hunters Rail looks like it has the best combination of usable Arca for shooting at various angles and the ability to attach a detachable bipod.
Is anyone running full length or close to full length Arca on their Carbon Stocks. What are your experiences? Do you have pictures? Are you finding real advantages in the field considering all of the pros or cons of altering your stock.
Thanks for any input.

young-gun

FNG
As far as I know carbvon stocks still have a fill just like a fiberglass stock so adding a ARCA to one is the same process as a wood stock I have been converting more and more of my stocks to long ARCA's for versatility here is one I just did not a hunting set up like you are doing but does show you what a 14" rail will look like

Attachments

• IMG_6204.jpg
    IMG_6204.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 129

Lawnboi

WKR
Not a fan of full length on a hunting stock and honestly I almost prefer to use a bag on a tripod head but that’s a whole different topic.

I like a rail that can either fit my bipod and tripod at the same time or two small arca pieces. I also use arca for my bipod.

Adding t nuts to a mesa stock is really easy with the channel they cut in them. I installed a 4” area 419 arca rail for a buddy. It was significantly easier than installing one on say a manners or mcmillan.

young-gun

FNG
Not a fan of full length on a hunting stock and honestly I almost prefer to use a bag on a tripod head but that’s a whole different topic.

I like a rail that can either fit my bipod and tripod at the same time or two small arca pieces. I also use arca for my bipod.

Adding t nuts to a mesa stock is really easy with the channel they cut in them. I installed a 4” area 419 arca rail for a buddy. It was significantly easier than installing one on say a manners or mcmillan.
I agree 14' is long for hunting

OP
E

ehayes

FNG

Thanks for the tips. It’s good to know it would be easy if I went forward with it. The rail I’m looking at is 10” overall and the 2” up front is picatinny. The two reasons I would be nervous is the aesthetic and the comfort of holding the rifle with an edged piece of metal instead of that nice carbon feel. I will say the new Gunwerks Nexus stock added it and I know a lot of thought went into that design. May I ask why not full length for hunting? Thanks again.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks for the tips. It’s good to know it would be easy if I went forward with it. The rail I’m looking at is 10” overall and the 2” up front is picatinny. The two reasons I would be nervous is the aesthetic and the comfort of holding the rifle with an edged piece of metal instead of that nice carbon feel. I will say the new Gunwerks Nexus stock added it and I know a lot of thought went into that design. May I ask why not full length for hunting? Thanks again.
I don’t like to hold onto a chunk of metal all day is the only reason. On top of that I see a tripod as pretty specialized in most hunting situations, and lately I prefer to use a bag on my tripod versus clipping in. A bag let’s me quickly change angle torque free and allows me to come off the tripod quickly if a close shot presents itself.

As far as the rail, most bipods now have some kind of arca adapter. If I was using a full length rail it would be all arca, that’s how I attach my bipods. Not only allows flexibility with a tripod but also your bipod. I couldn’t go back to a match rifle without full length arca.

I’d also really look at what tripod you plan on using? There’s a big difference between a $200 slik and a $1500 RRS when it comes time to shoot off it. I’d also ask what tripod head your using?

young-gun

FNG
May I ask why not full length for hunting? Thanks again.
My reason for this would be I cant see a good reason why I would want something clamped towards the mag box and make a good shot. slinging lead at steel ill get western but hunting I really want that bipod out front and a rear bag to make a good shot on game.

also you mentioned that Nexus I got to shoot that platform and they did a really really good job integrating that in the stock I dont think anyone would be disappointed with that at all

tak

WKR
My reason for this would be I cant see a good reason why I would want something clamped towards the mag box and make a good shot. slinging lead at steel ill get western but hunting I really want that bipod out front and a rear bag to make a good shot on game.

also you mentioned that Nexus I got to shoot that platform and they did a really really good job integrating that in the stock I dont think anyone would be disappointed with that at all

I wish they would sell the Nexus component stock for that specific reason. I called and they said maybe a year or two. I have a SRS full length hunters rail on an AG alpine hunter stock, I'll try to get pics later. Also have an SRS mini and an SRS 4" on two other rifles. Only downside os shooting offhand the rail is not as comfortable, but it's not bad, especially if you hold far ward in the area of the pic rail.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I wish they would sell the Nexus component stock for that specific reason. I called and they said maybe a year or two. I have a SRS full length hunters rail on an AG alpine hunter stock, I'll try to get pics later. Also have an SRS mini and an SRS 4" on two other rifles. Only downside os shooting offhand the rail is not as comfortable, but it's not bad, especially if you hold far ward in the area of the pic rail.
I’d appreciate some photos of that setup, thanks in advance!

Macintosh

WKR
Depending on how and where you hunt most, I actually think a bipod is a lot more useable in field conditions WITH a full length rail. It's obviously more stable if the bipod is farther forward, but just like the top of a barrel or whatever in a match demands you pull the bipod toward the magwell in order to get a rest for the butt, I have definitely shot off rocks and logs that allowed me a much more solid rest for both ends of the rifle by moving the bipod toward me when prone was not an option due to vegetation or terrain.

young-gun

FNG
I wish they would sell the Nexus component stock for that specific reason. I called and they said maybe a year or two.
there might be more to how that action is constructed with the barrel extension and such that isnt as simple as offering it as a component piece because it wouldnt fit a Rem clone type action

tak

WKR
there might be more to how that action is constructed with the barrel extension and such that isnt as simple as offering it as a component piece because it wouldnt fit a Rem clone type action

Definitely

tak

WKR
I’d appreciate some photos of that setup, thanks in advance!

Here you go,
I could stand to set the rail back another half inch or so, but the holes were already in place for two separate rail sections previously.

0bd5a4b34c743f8cd6fe368592dd0419.jpg

2c8ba6a2b3a8240ceded197dfa7557d8.jpg

madgrad02

WKR
Any recommendations on installing a balance point ARCA rail (towards the action) as opposed to one that mounts out towards the end on the 2 sling studs? Seeming as though the balance point would be the better mounting location (however requiring a little work for holes) vs one towards the end of the rifle? Thoughts either way?