Carbon Six Barrel with Mesa Precision stock

Looking at a carbon six prefit barrel, sendero contour for a tikka. One option is Shank/Chamber Length. Standard 2.5" or extended 3". I'm assuming I want standard? Mesa precision lists a barrel contour "proof prefit or 1.13" shank sendero". Does the carbon six fit this stock without any customization? What other stock options are there for Carbon six?

Last edited:

davsco

WKR
hope so, as i ordered a carbon six featherweight profile for an incoming mesa altitude stock set up for a proof carbon prefit.

I'd ask carbon 6 what they would recommend (2.5 or 3" shank) for your planned cartridge. I've no idea how much steel is in their blanks underneath the carbon so it's hard to say.

The two contours are different and the use of "sendero" as a barrel contour is a joke because there's so many different sendero contours. Generally the proof is thicker but it also has a faster taper near the shank before transitioning to a slower taper. Carbon 6 is just a straight taper from shank to muzzle with a smaller muzzle. I think you're probably fine but you can look at the contours on each company's website and figure it out.

Or you could be a modern man and just say to hell with this silly aesthetic desire to have a barrel channel tightly match the barrel contour perfectly and just get the biggest damn channel you can in the stock so you don't have to worry about it. It's not going to match a proof contour anyway.

I have a Carbon 6 sendero profile barrel ( w/2.5 shank) and a Mesa stock for one of my Tikka 300wsm. I chose Mesa's largest option ( 1.2 shank) for their stock and have no issues. I hope this helps.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a Carbon 6 sendero profile barrel ( w/2.5 shank) and a Mesa stock for one of my Tikka 300wsm. I chose Mesa's largest option ( 1.2 shank) for their stock and have no issues. I hope this helps.
What twist and length did you go with, what does it weigh, what bullet are you using, and how does it shoot?

OP
G
Have you contacted Mesa to see if they will inlet for your specific barrel contour?
If that was for me, I have not. I have been considering just doing a preferred barrel taperless .750 profile. That seems like it would pretty much fit a OEM tikka stock and keep the diameter needed to the end of the barrel for 5/8" threads. Hopefully it wouldn't weigh too much for a 20" barrel. Anyone do this?

BAKPAKR

WKR
If that was for me, I have not. I have been considering just doing a preferred barrel taperless .750 profile. That seems like it would pretty much fit a OEM tikka stock and keep the diameter needed to the end of the barrel for 5/8" threads. Hopefully it wouldn't weigh too much for a 20" barrel. Anyone do this?
That was meant for you. I am pretty sure I saw on another thread that Mesa had done a custom contour.

What twist and length did you go with, what does it weigh, what bullet are you using, and how does it shoot?
I went with a 1:10 twist. The weight is less than 7lbs with Mesa stock and no scope. I currently have some Hornady factory eldx ammo, along with a few other 180-200gr ammo to test, but I haven't shot it yet. I did buy RCBS die set for later. I just got the bolt back from being fluted. Now, I'm decided to sell the Mesa stock because I I can't get used to the large palm swell size for a hunting rig. Allterra Arms are making a short run of stocks for Tikka and Peak 44 are about to start making their stocks for Tikka as well. It will be some time still before I get to shoot it now.

I went with a standard shank carbon 6 20” and had my gunsmith open up the barrel channel on my factory stock to accept the bigger barrel. Worked great. Rifle, sportsmatch rings and swfa3x9 weighs right about 8 lbs.

abyl

FNG
Sorry to resurrect a semi-old thread goathunter, but did you end up going with the mesa stock and carbon 6 barrel configuration, and if so how did it turn out for you?

Also, davsco, how did the featherweight barrel look/fit in the mesa stock you ordered? I'm considering doing a semi Custom build myself using that configuration and am curious how it turned out.

NSI

WKR
Sorry to resurrect a semi-old thread goathunter, but did you end up going with the mesa stock and carbon 6 barrel configuration, and if so how did it turn out for you?

Also, davsco, how did the featherweight barrel look/fit in the mesa stock you ordered? I'm considering doing a semi Custom build myself using that configuration and am curious how it turned out.
I've got no dog in this fight, but...

If doing a semi Custom build (assuming Tikka), I might not choose the stock with the worst inherent recoil geometry and the carbon barrel with the most inconsistent quality control (see the mega thread here).

If it was my money, I'd order a Stocky's VG2 and keep the barrel steel which will be lighter than any carbon without even fluting, will not trap as much heat inside, and can be flared out to accept a 5/8x24 thread pattern if that's the carbon motivation.

Good luck!

-J

If doing a semi Custom build (assuming Tikka), I might not choose the stock with the worst inherent recoil geometry and the carbon barrel with the most inconsistent quality control (see the mega thread here).
Interested. Can you pin the thread you referenced? I looked around and couldn't find one about QC issues. Thanks

NSI

WKR
Interested. Can you pin the thread you referenced? I looked around and couldn't find one about QC issues. Thanks
This thread is full of QC and CS horror stories. There are some good reports mixed in, but I just can't see the value prop of saving 200 bucks over a proof/bartlein/benchmark carbon, or spending 100 bucks more than a lighter steel barrel. Why risk it?

-J