Carbon fibers on outsert after removing

I missed my target today and the half out on one of my RIP TKOs bent. I tried using a lighter to heat up the half out enough to loosen the epoxy, but it wasn’t working. Switched to a butane torch and was able to get the half out removed. I noticed a few carbon fibers stuck to the half out, is this something to be concerned about (see photo)? The arrow itself looks fine, both on the outside and inside of the shaft.

IMG_1650.jpeg

nphunter

WKR
There is damage to the inside of the arrow from either the impact or the heat, probably a combination of both. I'm sure it affected it slightly but on that end of the arrow, there are no real safety concerns. As long as the new one fits inside tight and spins true it will be fine. Bending is super common with any outsert, personally, I would either pull all of them and replace them with HITs or cut the shafts right behind the outsert and then install HITs if you have the length.
If you did pull them and use HIT inserts the HIT is longer and will glue to a different portion of the shaft, you can buy brass HIT's for like $20 and they will weigh 50gr or 75gr depending on what puts you closer to your existing weight.

OP
RuggedYogi
Thanks for the reply. I was mostly concerned with safety and had reached the same conclusion about not being much of an issue with it being on the front end of the arrow. Guess I just needed some validation from someone else.

I am in the process of switching over to the IW HIT system, as I have not impressed by the durability of the outserts.

Any advice on pulling them? A shop built these arrows and I’m not sure what they used as epoxy. I tried boiling water, then a lighter, and eventually had to use a torch to heat the outsert up enough to remove it. I would rather not damage all of my arrows in the process to switching over to HITs, even if safety is not a concern.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Heat breaks down the structural integrity of the carbon shaft. Yes, that's a problem. And outserts/halfouts bending is why I won't use them.

On getting the outserts removed, try leaving in the boiling water for 45 minutes. I’ve seen with my insert iron I can leave them in boiling water for 10 minutes and they won’t budge but longer exposure makes them to where I can actually remove. Don’t know if thst will work on your unknown adhesive but it’s a cheap try that won’t damage the arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk