Can't beat them, join them.......... Grizz in CO

One of the biggest issues in our state is over-population of people, and the simple fact there are just tons of people in the woods. It's getting hard to get away from it. We're all seeing hikers where we've never seen them before, trails packed from trailhead to the summits and back.

Thinking long term, why no get Grizzly bears on a ballot, and get them back here. How many recreational hikers would think twice about taking their dogs for a walk in Summit county if they knew what existed out there?

Wolves are coming, why not bears? Sure there would be some "Cons", but the "Pros" in the long term would be interesting.

Imagine......... purple on map represents Grizzly Bear recovery area.

Attachments

• bears.JPG
    bears.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
You want to start a non-profit with me to relocate griz from WY and MT to CA and CO?? I did a poll a few months back and 90% of people on here supported bringing back griz to CA. Hunters may as well take the lead on this before the tree huggers do it. Also, expanding overall griz numbers takes away the endangered arguement used in MT , ID, and WY, to prevent hunting. If they are thriving in twice as many states, then there is easily an argument for having a hunt-able population.

Yea I agree. In the past when pro wold people argue about restoring it back to old times by bringing in wolves? I always ask why aren’t we bringing grizzly Back? No one ever has an answer. I think we should bring them
Back

Scoot

WKR
In the past when pro wold people argue about restoring it back to old times by bringing in wolves?
Justin, your typo reminds me of the old wold thread on bowsite! I think we need to bring that thread back... I am fully in support of a wold restoration effort! Especially the lesser wold- they are cute and cuddly little critters!!! :)

CoStick

WKR
One of the biggest issues in our state is over-population of people, and the simple fact there are just tons of people in the woods. It's getting hard to get away from it. We're all seeing hikers where we've never seen them before, trails packed from trailhead to the summits and back.

Thinking long term, why no get Grizzly bears on a ballot, and get them back here. How many recreational hikers would think twice about taking their dogs for a walk in Summit county if they knew what existed out there?

Wolves are coming, why not bears? Sure there would be some "Cons", but the "Pros" in the long term would be interesting.

How many people avoid Yellowstone?

OP
C
They can have Estes Park. Not many people out hiking the hills south of the park up in WY compared to to CO. I see it as a way of “firming up” the west again.

OP
C
Also, looking at the expansion of the bears, it won’t be long u til they are here anyways. Why not get a ballot going to speed up the process. Sound familiar? At least they were here historically.

3forks

WKR
Also, looking at the expansion of the bears, it won’t be long u til they are here anyways. Why not get a ballot going to speed up the process. Sound familiar? At least they were here historically.
I thought I recalled an effort to get a bear reintroduction program started in CO.

“The Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) hopes to change that, though. In June 2019, the nonprofit conservancy organization filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration to expand and update the federal grizzly bear recovery plan. First drafted back in 1993, it hasn’t been updated with new science or data on grizzlies since. And the CBD says it’s time for that to change.

“The last mention by the Fish and Wildlife Service that we saw of this was in their 2011 status report. In there, they say that they should be looking at other areas for re-introduction,” says Andrea Zaccardi, senior attorney for CBD. “Colorado was mentioned with several other states and that was the last we saw of the Fish and Wildlife Service acknowledging or taking steps that would recover grizzly bears.”

In December, a federal judge in Montana signed an order resolving that claim, requiring the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) to review the status of grizzly bears by March 2021.”

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The “grizzly” bears that terrorized humans for hundreds of years in California were closer to coastal brown bears than interior grizzlies we know today. They were eradicated within 75 years of the gold discovery.

There’s a reason they were wiped out. Humans were scared of them because they are extremely territorial and aggressive compared to black bears. There’s an engraved “fear” of brown bears in all of us and there’s good reason for it.

For these hippies to start coalitions to reintroduce brown bears to California still cracks me up. There was talks of bringing them back to the Santa Cruz mountains a few years back. Good luck with that surfers and beach goers. Let me know how that works out for you.

CoStick

WKR

How many people avoid Yellowstone?

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with the concept except when the elk herds precipitously decline the hunters will go elsewhere. Most people, hunters included, don't realize how hard griz hit elk calves. I like all the guys back east taking advantage of CO archery season. We don't need anymore people chasing elk in Mt.

Marble

WKR
If you want to limit people on the trails, get a permit system. The ideas I have seen proposed in the past were all people with hunting and fishing licenses would have a permit to use trails and others who want to hike the trail for any other reason need a daily permit.

IMO Im not super thrilled with the idea above, but do like some aspects of it.

Ideally I would like to see areas where elk are calving in large numbers closed for a period of time to all entry.

Introducing and supporting the growth of a larger grizzly population is a disaster in the making.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Because I don't want a damn grizzly in northern NM, and neither do the locals where these walking maggots would show up.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Grizzly bears are bastards, I say we should take a bunch from AK and donate them to states in the lower 48.

CoStick

WKR
If the people who complain about Colorado just leave or don’t visit problem is solved.

Alaska won't even let a nonresident kill a grizzly unless a $10,000+ guide is involved. Good luck giving your bears away. The outfitters would scream bloody murder.

Colorado would love to have a thriving grizzly population, which would further encourage bear tourism and hugger involvement in predator management there.