Can I Carry a Pistol While I Archery Hunt Colorado?

Hello,
I am Looking to hunt Colorado next year and looking to get all my ducks in a row. my questions are can I carry a pistol for protection while archery hunting? I am a VA resident and have a CCW in VA. I don't care about Conceal carry but about protection from something bigger (snakes ).

thanks for the responses in advance.

gelton

WKR
LOL...bad timing OP. But the answer is yes of course, but its best to not conceal it unless you are sure that your states CCW is reciprocal with Colorado. I carry mine for sure.

ChrisAU

WKR
Just make sure it has a barrel shorter than 16.1”. That way it’s legally called by the ATF a pistol. Anything above that and a game warden apparently will do bad things to you while he wipes his a$$ with the constitution.

Am I doing it right?

Haha OP from what I got from CPW last week a pistol should be a non issue.

BTW OP I am the butt of the rifle jokes.

I think at this point half of rokslide is the butt of the rifle jokes. . . And the other half is 100% correct in their opinion. . . I'll let you decided which side is which!

Op pistol is fine!

G

geriggs

its fine. i carry my shield 45 all the time and will again this year

G

geriggs

word of caution....dont finish the animal with a gun shot. Must be finished with archery gear. I know its seems like a thing everyone should know but they dont.

LightFoot

WKR
its fine. i carry my shield 45 all the time and will again this year
Don't mean to hijack the tread, but...

Just wanted to know what load you carry in your Shield 45. That is my EDC and I am not sure that I would want to carry the same people defense rounds for predator defense.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
A
word of caution....dont finish the animal with a gun shot. Must be finished with archery gear. I know its seems like a thing everyone should know but they dont.

Yeah I been hunting white tail for over 14 years I’ve never finished an animal with a gunshot, but thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

geriggs

Just FMJs. 230gr. I could probably carry some buffalo bore or some other high potent stuff but im not running into grizzlies in colorado. For preds like cats and black bears i prefer some non expanding bullets but they dont have to be super beefed up and fast. Thats IMHO

Don't mean to hijack the tread, but...

Just wanted to know what load you carry in your Shield 45. That is my EDC and I am not sure that I would want to carry the same people defense rounds for predator defense.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk