Can a Sirui VA-5 handle a rifle Mount?

I have a Sirui va-5 and a Promaster CF 525 tripod. I’ve been running my rifles with a Harris bipod but decided to buy an Atlas BT 10 now that they’re on sale for $165 for the blems.
I need to add some 2” pic rails to several rifles for the bipod mount, and I’m considering the 4” arca Swiss + pic rail that unknown munitions sells for my tikka. It’s an 8.5 lbs gun and my main hunting rifle. The reason for my debate is that the VA-5 is rated for 6 lbs. Is it going to handle a heavier gun or not even worth it and just run it off the bipod?
I had a Manfrotto Befree fluid head a few years ago and mounted an 11 lbs gun to it and it was crap. Way too wobble to even consider shooting off it.
So is it a waste of time or can an 8-9 lbs gun stabilize well enough in a VA-5!? Something tells me there’s a reason most PRS guys use the RRS tripods…..thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mscott72

FNG
I think you'd be unhappy with using the VA-5 to shoot off of and might damage it. We shoot from tripods quite a bit. one set up I've used for probably 6 years is a RRS ball head with a Feisol carbon fiber tripod. The Feisol tripod saved a lot of money and the combo has proved to be durable for sure (and huge/bulky)
Last year I bought a Leofoto LS-324C tripod with a LH-40 Ball head. The tripod isn't tall enough for me to shoot while standing but it is for my boy. We've used and abused it quite a bit. I frequently shoot a 12# rifle from it sitting position. Might be better economical solutions out there though.

deadwolf

WKR
I have a Sirui VA-5 as well and I think the piece that clamps your plate into the head is the weak point in the head. It WILL work, but I think that weak point will fail after taking abuse from any amount of recoil. Also, if you set the tension on that clamp for the Sirui plate, then arca plates don’t get enough clamping force out on them. And conversely, it you set tension for arca style plates, then you run into issues with the factory Sirui plate. (Which I don’t use now). I was hoping for a do it all head, and I do think the Sirui head is really good, my struggle is trying to find a head that is good to glass from with binos and spotter, as well as shoot from. Right now I’m leaning towards trying a two vets ball head, but ball heads aren’t the best for glassing. I feel like I have to give up something somewhere with any one I use.

OP
F
I think I’m mostly hoping it will work as a do all set up, but deep down I know it won’t work. I know upgrading to something like. RRS set up would work, but then it’s all a weight penalty. Might just have to keep using a bipod and keep the tripod/head set up as a lightweight combo for glassing only. Last thing I want to do is carry more weight.

madcalfe

WKR
the head only has a load rating of 6.6lbs so id imagine after awhile it could break. you could also just look into getting a different head for your tripod. im running a 3leggedthing air hed pro ball head, 40lbs load rating. and it weights less than your head.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have the same head and was considering just the V adapter. I don’t see how that could damage it as the rifle should slide freely. Thoughts?

I think I’m mostly hoping it will work as a do all set up, but deep down I know it won’t work. I know upgrading to something like. RRS set up would work, but then it’s all a weight penalty. Might just have to keep using a bipod and keep the tripod/head set up as a lightweight combo for glassing only. Last thing I want to do is carry more weight.

i'm going to try it... i have a ball head if it doesn't work, but i think it will for my setup... i like that head a lot for glassing, i know it's marginal to shoot from, but i do think it will work.