Camp location

Splitbrow

FNG
Hunting high country mule deer seriously for the first time this fall in Colorado. I was wondering what kinds of considerations you all put into camp location. Is it bad to camp close to the basin you expect the deer are in? Is it possible to camp near water or will it make for too much of a climb in the morning. Are people camping somewhat inside of cover from wind and wet weather? I am planning on backpacking in so I would like to be as close to my glassing area as is practical. I realize that everything is situation dependent, but I thought you all could give me some things to consider that I hadn’t thought of

Thanks for the info and expertise!

Front country camp pictures just for fun

Attachments

• 099E3F9C-B51B-429C-89C6-3AF82D29D560.jpeg
    099E3F9C-B51B-429C-89C6-3AF82D29D560.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 92E040DD-2903-407F-8E0B-5D1E8B16B5BC.jpeg
    92E040DD-2903-407F-8E0B-5D1E8B16B5BC.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 143
  • A3C0504C-AEAE-40D6-8701-AD937F5BB312.jpeg
    A3C0504C-AEAE-40D6-8701-AD937F5BB312.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 129

Wags

WKR
Just camp right in the bottom or on top of the basin like everybody else does
Get there the night before opener start up a fire and start talking to your 6 other buddies like you are at the bar

That sums up what I see happen in 90% of the areas I hunt in Wyoming. Camps right at the base of the best habitat to hunt. Blows my mind every time.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
On top, off the backside of the basin where you anticipate the deer to be. This way changing thermals and wind currents don’t carry your wind down through the basin and blow out the deer… Don’t camp in saddles, deer cross through them, and they act like a wind funnel, making for miserable camping conditions. Keep a low profile (noise, scent, visibility, etc), and keep this in mind when you make water runs, and anytime you’re crossing country.

… one caveat with Colorado high country… count on some impressive thunderstorms. As such, camping on the highest peak may not be the best idea… try to get off the top a little, and into some cover (not always possible, as tree line can be a long way down).

Really appreciate you taking the time to inquire on this topic.

BBob

WKR
On top, off the backside of the basin where you anticipate the deer to be. This way changing thermals and wind currents don’t carry your wind down through the basin and blow out the deer… Don’t camp in saddles, deer cross through them, and they act like a wind funnel, making for miserable camping conditions. Keep a low profile (noise, scent, visibility, etc), and keep this in mind when you make water runs, and anytime you’re crossing country.

… one caveat with Colorado high country… count on some impressive thunderstorms. As such, camping on the highest peak may not be the best idea… try to get off the top a little, and into some cover (not always possible, as tree line can be a long way down).

I don't hunt high country MD much anymore but when we did this ^^^ is what we strove for. Sometimes it makes for a heck of a hike each day in and out but you either don't or you really limit what you might blow out. When hunting the high basins you don't always get a setup you need for a stalk (especially archery) so you may need to leave and come back tomorrow for the right setup. If you camp in the same basin you may blow them out and they won't be there tomorrow. And +++ on the storms in the high country. Some of these places make their own weather systems and you never really know what you are going to get. Weather forecasts for the valley may not mean much and you just might get 3-4" of snow in August. Most of my high country experience was in the Ruby's NV so YMMV in CO.

OP
Splitbrow

Splitbrow

FNG

Thanks! I knew I didn’t want to blow out predictable deer I appreciate the info! Thanks for the second Bob, I’m okay with a longer walk in if I know it will be less intrusive.

Marble

WKR
Situation dependant is correct. I for sure will not camp where I'll disturb animals. Next I look for a combination of water and shelter. Lastly, proximity to glassing and hunting.

I prefer to be in the trees, off of the trail where people can't see me, but I can see them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

This sums it up very well. The presence of other hunters and the unpredictability of their camp locations can be a factor but your best to focus on the elements within your control.

BBob

WKR
This sums it up very well. The presence of other hunters and the unpredictability of their camp locations can be a factor but your best to focus on the elements within your control.
Yup, "The presence of other hunters and the unpredictability of their camp locations can be a factor".

When you've been in alone with your buddy for days watching, waiting for the right buck and setup, stealth camped over the hill out of the way and an outfitter with a string of mules and four hunters show up and setup camp in the basin you've been hunting then proceed to blow everything out within 24hrs kinda sucks especially when you used human quad power to hump in. Now you have to load up and hump even further in losing a day because of the ding dongs that didn't care that you were already established in there because they payed $$$ or are making $$$ to be there. You then hope they don't follow or show up where you are now because they are going to move because there's nothing to hunt where you just left them. :ROFLMAO:

BSwartz

FNG
I prefer by water as my first choice. If you can also be near your glassing point thats a bonus

southLA

WKR
So obviously everywhere will be different, but I'm making my first hunting trip out west to Colorado this fall. Have been backpacking plenty of times. How do you combine camping near glassing spots (high) and water (low)?

WRM

WKR
So obviously everywhere will be different, but I'm making my first hunting trip out west to Colorado this fall. Have been backpacking plenty of times. How do you combine camping near glassing spots (high) and water (low)?

Everywhere I've been--pure luck. Mostly because water sources were super limited.

Poser

WKR
And on camping "in cover" due to bad storms: always check for widowmakers before you set up!

Unfortunately, around here in the San Juans, the beetle kill has made camping in the trees all but impossible to do safely in many areas. After last season, we decided that we’ll have to suck it up and camp out in the open. One of my partners who is a hammock purists, just bought a ground setup as there is now where to safely camp anywhere in the trees and there won’t be for the next 10-30 years. A recent storm brought down 200+ trees across a 6 mile stretch of a popular trail. That’s just the trail. There was a CO Trail thru hiker killed last year by a dead tree falling on them.

Poser

WKR

Depends on the area. Goats will usually hang out in areas where there is water very high and I have found some springs as high as 13k as a result of watching goats. Also, look for willows as they usually indicate water. The other thing is to have water storage capacity for up to 2 days and make mid day runs as needed.

ColoradoV

WKR
Camp in the trees where you can’t be seen even if you have to walk to water and glass..

Don’t be that guy who skylines a tent for several basins to see 🤦🏼‍♂️ ..

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great thread, thought I would revive it for additional thoughts. Good luck everybody. I’ll be camping as close to the glassing spot as reasonable.