Camofire Heads Up-shipping insurance fee scammy

smartweed

FNG
A couple days ago I placed an order on camofire without really being familiar with it and not noticing the fact that they by default add on a fee to insure your order. The fee can be deselected I came to find out but I didn't realize the fee even existed until after I got the receipt and saw the fee on there in that email. Anyway it was kind of my oversight that I got caught by that in the first place because I surely don't need that insurance and it does seem a little bit of a scam to me to have them automatically adding that so just beware if you're in a hurry and ordering on camofire that that gets snuck in there. Through emails with their customer service I got the fee removed and the insurance removed but that was a less than straightforward process because I was so bothered by the whole idea of what they did that I tried to cancel the order but was given the runaround until the point where I was told it was too late and it already shipped 8 hours later. Such is life but just hoping to save some people a few bucks but they more than likely don't need to spend.

BBob

WKR
Many places are going to that and lots of them are mandatory, you can’t opt out. I sell some stuff online and theft has become common. I haven’t gone the mandatory insurance route yet but now take the extra time to send an email stating we will not refund for losses due to theft. That won’t stop someone from filling a claim with their credit card company so I’m still at risk there. None of the shippers will reimburse if theft occurred and they can prove by gps that they dropped it at the correct address. BTDT

Last edited:
The responsibility of the product being delivered is that of the seller. Breakage due to improper packaging is the responsibility of the seller. Theft prior to delivery is becoming more and more of an issue. Theft after proper delivery is the responsibility of the purchaser, and is also an issue. However, since I have someone available to accept deliveries, me paying for insurance makes no sense as I would be paying for coverage that protects the seller; something that they are responsible for.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
It is scammy imo as well. Hopefully Kendal gets rid of it or at the very minimum puts a quick pop up letting people know that it is already selected and you have to de-select it if you do not want it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Black Ovis does the same. They got me once before I knew to watch for the shipping insurance option and deselect it.
They're in the same building as CamoFire, same company. I guess everybody hates insurance of any sort? With the way package theft is going these days I think there's other things that are higher on the radar than a few dollars for shipping insurance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pk_

WKR
They also hit you on each item you add to a combined order if you don’t de-select it. Idk if they cover the whole combined order if you use it initially or only each item you select it for. Kind of confusing.

I made my first camofire order a few weeks ago and the shipping took a couple weeks and fedex never provided good tracking info. But it finally showed up. Placed my 2nd order last week(combined order) and went ahead and got the insurance because of how sketchy the shipping was on previous order.

I will say I called camofire when shipping seemed delayed and got thru quickly to a real person who was polite and helpful. So I will continue to do business 👍

Drenalin

WKR
Lots of companies doing that. The real scam here is they claimed they shipped your order in 8 hours. Based on my experience, they’d be closer to 8 days than 8 hours. Maybe it wasn’t a lie, but it probably was.

Venom One

WKR
Lots of companies doing that. The real scam here is they claimed they shipped your order in 8 hours. Based on my experience, they’d be closer to 8 days than 8 hours. Maybe it wasn’t a lie, but it probably was.
The delayed shipping is a freight issue I think. I've had Amazon and Costco orders show shipped, but they don't move for days. I think shipping companies just can't keep up so stuff sits sometimes.

I have had more issues with fed ex lately. Seems to take 3x as long as everyone else and 2 lost packages since December. I'm to the point where I would rather not order of fed ex is the shipper.

Almost every place I order from now does this and requires it for "quicker" refunds or issues. A lot of companies have changed their shipping and return policies as well to require the insurance. Sucks that there are so many low lives stealing crap.

I read recently that locally a delivery guy dropped off the package. Photographed the delivery and then stole the package. Ring doorbell captured it all. IDIOT.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
A couple days ago I placed an order on camofire without really being familiar with it and not noticing the fact that they by default add on a fee to insure your order. The fee can be deselected I came to find out but I didn't realize the fee even existed until after I got the receipt and saw the fee on there in that email. Anyway it was kind of my oversight that I got caught by that in the first place because I surely don't need that insurance and it does seem a little bit of a scam to me to have them automatically adding that so just beware if you're in a hurry and ordering on camofire that that gets snuck in there. Through emails with their customer service I got the fee removed and the insurance removed but that was a less than straightforward process because I was so bothered by the whole idea of what they did that I tried to cancel the order but was given the runaround until the point where I was told it was too late and it already shipped 8 hours later. Such is life but just hoping to save some people a few bucks but they more than likely don't need to spend.
Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it. I don’t believe I’ve been caught by this one. (Not at camofire, anyhow….only ordered one thing from them in the last couple years.). Was the fee a flat or variable fee? Asking because it gives an idea of the magnitude of the costs. Thanks.

I hate it but I have countless friends and have heard so many people who actually pay for it. I have yet to hear of someone that needed it and to me it’s just a waste. Sorry you got tied up in it but glad you got your money back.

They're in the same building as CamoFire, same company. I guess everybody hates insurance of any sort? With the way package theft is going these days I think there's other things that are higher on the radar than a few dollars for shipping insurance.
I have no problem with insurance in general, but I am annoyed by a company presuming that I want it and automatically applying an upcharge to my order. Granted, I can decline the insurance with the click of a button, but I would prefer that it be offered on an opt-in, not opt-out, basis. I like to live dangerously...I don't (intentionally) buy shipping insurance or warranties on appliances/vehicles and haven't yet regretted those decisions.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t mind the insurance. What annoys me is their shipping takes forever. From the time I place an order it takes at least two weeks before it is delivered.

WKR

WKR
How is it a scam when its clear as day on the checkout page? Plus you have the option, its not mandatory. Camofire does good business. If you want to cancel an order because you didn't do your due diligence when you checked out thats on you.

Don’t mind the insurance. What annoys me is their shipping takes forever. From the time I place an order it takes at least two weeks before it is delivered.
Black ovis or camofire? I've ordered stabilizer threads, a zoleo, arrows, a hat all from Black ovis and theyve been as quick as 2 biz days and the slowest was 4 or 5. All free shipping to Hawaii. Great companies to deal with