Camera upgrade decision/options for wildlife hunting all round etc.

pc3

WKR
Last month I booked a trip for my son and I to hunt Bull Tahr on the Sth. Island of NZ. To that end among the gear I have yet to get, I am strongly considering upgrading my camera outfit.

I currently have Nikon D7100 with three lenses; Sigma 18-250, a wide angle lense (forget the brand but cost plenty of $$) and a Nikon prime 50mm fast lense.

A good kit which has served me well for a couple of overseas trips etc. Its lightly used, I tend to look after my gear as much as one can.

Anyway it is sizable, has not water resistance at all (I dont believe). I may try and sell it as a bundle for a good price, I know now mirroless is the future but someone out there may decide it will serve them well and see some value in it with the lenses. Unless they are compatible with a new mirrorless camera body.

Initially my camera upgrade requirements where:

Durability/weather proof: Needs to be able to take being in the rain etc.

Full Frame: Last time I was "into" photography I decided my next camera was going to need to be full frame (unless there is a compelling case otherwise)

Mirorrless: A given now.

Lenses: Option for lenses that can take a rain shower etc.

Future Proof: want to purchase a system now where lenses I buy can perhaps be used as tech in camera body's changes, dont know if this possible

Not made in China: Is this even possible ?

So what are my options; I do love the look of the Olympus Camera's, but I believe they are not full frame.....and I love the look of Leica SL's 😍but they are too $$ and may not even be weatherproof.

Loughgear

FNG
I currently shoot a 90d crop sensor but have been doing a ton of reasearch into the om system (was Olympus) om-1. It’ll be my next camera even tho it’s micro 4/3, gives double the reach of a full frame in small package. Future proof should also include if you will get tired of dragging a full frame set up around and end up leaving it at home. Full frame will still have better low light iso performance. But micro 4/3 tech has come a long way. Image stabilization and weather proof is second to none on the om setups. But at the end of the day it’s your choice and this is just my opinion what you are wanting to do with the images at the end of the day.

Reactions: pc3
OP
P

pc3

WKR
Yes there is a lot to like about the Olympus system. I did think the Sony's may also have something to offer and they are full frame...they don't look too large.

There seems to be 2 models of Olympus the Om1 and the M1 Mark 111 or the M5 Mark 111 what are the advantages of the Om1 (being the dearer camera).

I really need to understand better, the differences between micro 4/3 and full frame.

Loughgear

FNG
I don’t know much much about the Sonys, they are smaller tho, as far as the om-1 compared to the older models would be the back side illuminated double stacked sensor, way faster read out, faster auto focus and better low light performance also can use a mode called hand held high resolution which basically the sensors shift to create a 50 megapixel image instead of 20 and if you use a tripod a 80 megapixel image. The older models have this mode also just takes longer to create due to the installed sensor.

If used isn’t out of the question could pick up an older Sony for cheaper and get the same results plus could probably pick up a couple lenses, comes down to budget also and how big ur wanting to print and view plus how much time are you wanting to put into post processing.

There’s a few comparisons on you tube also between cameras also that is worth watching. As far as explaining the differences between micro 4/3 and full frame I’m not quite 100 percent on completely understanding it myself so hopefully someone else chimes in. The basics tho is full frame is 35mm. crop sensor is much smaller so the end result is you get 1.6x the reach of a lens (100mm on full frame = 160mm on crop sensor)with canon, but have to deal with more noise due to the image is more “stretched” over the sensor you could say. Micro 4/3s is smaller yet and you get 2x the reach but the image is more “stretched” and might have to deal with more noise. Like I said before tho I’m still learning and I hope someone comes in to correct me if anything I’ve said is wrong and to elaborate.

Jimss

WKR
What do you mostly want to use your camera for? Scenery, hero shots, wildlife? There probably aren’t too many waterproof options. I go to Alaska often and use non waterproof cameras and have a dry bag handy. I also have a couple small waterproof cameras that work pretty well for scenery and hero shots.

Here are the facts

Olympus system is fantastic, not full frame but how big are you printing out? They have the fastest focusing, best Image Stabilization and 90% of their system is weatherproof

Leica system is amazing, weatherproof and, is more $$ compared to the entry level FF by the other brands but with their deals less $$ then the higher line cameras and comparable lenses

Nikon full frame bodies are all weatherproof, most of their FF lenses are weatherproof, solid Image Stabilization in all FF bodies system.

Canons better FF cameras are weatherproof as are most of their lenses. Some have built in Image stabilization

Sony FF bodies are all weatherproof and have excellent Image Stabilization. Almost all of their FF lenses are weatherproof

Feel free to call me at 516-217-1000. Mention Rokslide for special pricing

OP
P

pc3

WKR
I will get in touch in the very near future..

I need it for hunting trips, family trips and improving my photography/learning more. I have lost a bit of touch with it, This trip to NZ will help me get back into it. And I want a system that the lenses at least will be able to adapt to camera body’s as tech improves over the journey.

I don’t want to have to swap lenses as Inulgrade body’s. I did want full frame, better in low light etc. but will listen to arguments that say otherwise.

Cheers Folks