camera help?

sneek-ee

WKR
I'm going to get my wife a new camera for Christmas and would like some input and reccomendations.

Nikon j1.
Sony RX100 (not the newest one- ii)
Olympus tg2.

She (and myself) will use it for everyday use for fun, hunting, scenery and wildlife, digiscoping, and some short videos.

People who have first hand experience with these!
Thanks!!!

Stid2677

WKR
+1 for the TG2, Hard to beat it in low light. I have taken a lot of photos and video with mine to include digiscoping. With that said I have NO experience with the other 2. But if I lost mine today, I would buy the same.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have used the J1 and RX100, but not the TG-2.

The first two have a 1" sensor, which is MUCH larger than the TG-2's 1/2.3" sensor, so in general image quality the 1" sensor cameras will win out easily. Either 1" camera will take some customizing for digiscoping. I altered some Nikon 1 lenses for digiscoping with some really good results. The focusing speed, tracking, and FPS of the Nikon 1 system is unmatched, even by pro-level DSLRs. 14 frames per second with AF at each frame! 60FPS burst.

It seems like the TG-2 should be a great choice for a compact camera though, with an f2 lens, backlit sensor, easy digiscoping adapter, and waterproof, rugged build. Lots of serious hunters like Stid seem to really like them.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
TG-2 is a great camera for rugged conditions. But the J1 and RX100 will no doubt take better pics. For me I'd rather get a lesser quality shot in horrid wet weather or packrafting than miss a shot all together. For my uses the TG-2s quality is "good enough". But for others it might not be.

dotman

WKR
Luke & Stid,

What settings have you both been using to get such vivid yet not overly bright pictures? The stuff you guys have taken with that camera is very impressive.

I hardly take pictures because they always turn out so plain.

dotman

WKR
Thanks, I may look into one of these or see if my Panasonic has a similar setting.