CA Ridge-line Scope Mounting; Hawkins Hybrid style vs rail and rings. Advantages and Disadvantages

pc3

WKR
For better or worse I've purchased a CA Ridge line in .300 WM, so I understand I am running the gauntlet hoping I get a good one. They were marking the old models down here in Oz in a few shops. I understand the tikkas are more consistent, I just struggle with the look of them. And on this occasion I didn't want the wait for a custom, and I save a few $$. I need the rifle for an NZ hunt next year, and building a custom might have been tight for time, by the time you gather all the parts etc.

Anyway I am debating about the ring/base set up. I have a march 3-24x52 FFP there ready for it, it weigh's 23oz if I recall correctly.

My two mounting options I am considering are;

1. Seekins piccatinny rail and seekins rings
2. Hawkins long range Hybrid rings

I like the idea of the Hawkins Hybrid Rings, a little less weight etc. but do you get a little more versatility with a rail base and ring set up ? You can have a spare scope set up in other rings, perhaps remove the scope in the rings for air travel to save knocks/bumps by baggage gorillas and re-torque to spec on arrival ? You dont have that option with the Hawkins Hybrids.

You may have a little more restriction with the mounting position...unsure how the March will go in Hybrid's on the CA LA.

You do have one less part to come loose.

This is more about the hybrid style rings vs rail and base, rather than the actual rifle set up itself. What do others think ?

BrentH

WKR
I am a big fan of rail/rings on everything to give me more mounting options. I also run Seekins rails/rings on my Ridgeline.

Reactions: pc3