Ca. Marble Mountains Roosevelt Either Sex

Musthnt

FNG
Hello all, new to the forum here.
Me and a buddy drew the late season either sex Rosie tags with less than max points. We have our own stock and plan to go diy. We have both hunted rockies for thirty plus years but understand it's different hunting the Roosevelts. Been talking to the biologists and a couple outfitters. One particular outfitter said the elk are all out of the high country by Oct 24th. Weather or no weather. Would hate to spend all our scouting deep in the Marbles to find out they aren't there come hunt time. Season is last weekend Oct. to first weekend in Nov. We are planning a couple scouting trips and probably show up a couple days before season for the entire 9 day season.
I was hoping to get some thoughts or input. I know there's a couple locals on here that might chime in.

Thanks

Marble

WKR
The Rosie's I hunt there never migrate. But they are not way up in the mountains.

Second, I wouldn't beleive the outfitter unless you know him well.

That area barely gets weather by that time of year on most years.

Lastly,

Call the Elk biologist in redding and ask.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The last time I was up there was over 30 years ago. The elk can cover a lot of ground during the day. There were lots of dirt roads, and closed dirt roads. I found plenty of elk and wallows just off those closed roads. The vegetation is or was thick. I have not kept up with the herd numbers there. But overall, if you put in the work, you should do reasonably well. A pre-season scouting or two, or three could help significantly.

OP
Musthnt

Musthnt

FNG
Thanks Marble, I've talked to 2 different biologist, Erin and Michael. Erin really couldn't tell me if they in fact migrate out like the outfitter said. Do you have a name for the one in Redding?

Marble

WKR
No. I don't have it. Juat call the Redding office and ask. Just tell them you are trying to get info on possible areas.

But keep in mind, they probably won't say go to this spot. I would have some areas picked out and your homework done. Do t call and be like, please tell me where your highest elk density is. Ask about Hqppy Camp, trinity center, reading creek, swift creek etc. Sound educated.

OP
Musthnt

Musthnt

FNG
Thanks again. I called Redding and they referred me to the Biologist's I have already been in contact with. I've got half a dozen or so drainages marked and a couple trail heads that are stock trlr accessible. Got some foot access areas also to look at. Got to get boots on the ground and have plan A,B and C. maybe D,E and F! I'll report back after some scouting!
Thanks for you help Marble.

Marble

WKR
Let us know what you find and see. I will be doing some scouting this summer for one hunter and then depending on how archery season in Oregon goes for me, I may be around to help out with her hunt in September.

OP
Musthnt

Musthnt

FNG
Sounds good!
Going to try and get a couple scouting trips in before September elk in Montana and then one more before season opens

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
Should have called me! PM me your email and phone number. I was just up in some wilderness within that hunt zone last Wednesday and was on a herd of 50 with a few BIG bulls.

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm too new to be able to PM. Here's my email:
[email protected]

I’ll try to get you some info tomorrow… are you wanting to use horses in a more traditional style elk hunt or do you just want to get an elk? I located a herd of 50 with a couple really nice bulls last Wednesday, but I question if they will still be in that area on your hunt… here’s my 2012 Marbles muzzleloader bull…
70dee9a89213176d45979c7635dc35db.jpg

OP
Musthnt

Musthnt

FNG
I’m open to any elk but definitely want a bull. That’s my biggest concern is will they still be where we find them in the summer scouting trips. Like I mentioned earlier, the one outfitter said they move out by late October. Not sure if that’s reliable info. We have the stock to do a packin style hunt but open to anything to get into elk.
Nice bull you got. Is that wilderness or lower elevation?

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
Low elevation… not at all a typical elk hunt where I went… it can be hit and miss up high on that hunt… I wouldn’t count out the higher back country… but you probably don’t want to go all in in the high country… remaining flexible will be key! Where do you live? Look me up when you come up to scout… I often take people out scouting and have even helped a number of people on their hunts… stay tuned for more info tomorrow…

OP
Musthnt

Musthnt

FNG
I live in the Central Valley… Fresno area.
Thanks for your help. Definitely will look you up soon as we start planning scouting trips.
I’ve drawn everything thing in Ca. Including desert sheep. I’m beginning to think that packing in might be to much of a commitment

OP
Musthnt

Musthnt

FNG
Just got back from my first scouting trip. Checked out 4 trail heads and covered 38 miles by foot and pack. Seen approx 50 head and one rag horn. Was able to cross a couple spots off the list but all in all was a great start. Still got a lot of work to do and new country to see. Made a few local contacts that were very promising! LOTS of bears for sure! First 30 mins of glassing from one spot and counted 10 different bears!

Greybeard

FNG
I’ve got the late season either sec hunt as well. I just got snowed out of my spot (6000 Ft) before I could get it done. Unfortunately I hadn’t planned any back-ups. Just got back to Redding tonight. Anyone have any lower elevation places I can try before my season runs out? Much appreciated.

Marble

WKR
How much snow fell?

And when did the season end?

Greybeard

FNG
Session opened last Saturday and runs through this Sunday. I had a solid foot where I was camping and it was coming down. I was over on the West side of the unit near Happy Camp.

OP
Musthnt

Musthnt

FNG
I’ve got the late season either sec hunt as well. I just got snowed out of my spot (6000 Ft) before I could get it done. Unfortunately I hadn’t planned any back-ups. Just got back to Redding tonight. Anyone have any lower elevation places I can try before my season runs out? Much appreciated.
Hey Greybears, by any chance, we’re you hunting up at Stanshaw?