BWCA Bear Hunt Advice?

zfish11

FNG
I just found out I drew a bear tag for the boundary waters canoe area in northern MN. I have never hunted bears. I’m super excited. I live about an hour from the BWCA so will scout a couple times this summer. We plan to canoe in somewhere and set up a base camp. I plan to hunt later in the season (October 1-15 likely)

There is no baiting allowed. From what I’ve found people will do honey burns and call.

Has anyone done this hunt or used those methods to attract bears?

From experience the larger burn areas are near impossible to see through for scouting and hunting. Dog haired pine just cross crossed and new growth making it hard to see more than 20 feet.

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to be following this!!!!
This sounds like such a cool unique hunt.

I’m going to be following this!!!!
This sounds like such a cool unique hunt.

Same!

Is it impractical to bring some sort of stand, climbing, stick + hang on or otherwise, from which you could gain some elevation and glass the edges of the burns to pick up on a pattern? Could be worth it if there’s some openings or the trees aren’t very tall.

OP
Z

zfish11

FNG
Same!

Is it impractical to bring some sort of stand, climbing, stick + hang on or otherwise, from which you could gain some elevation and glass the edges of the burns to pick up on a pattern? Could be worth it if there’s some openings or the trees aren’t very tall.
Depending on where we set base camp it may not be practice. We’re already going to be limited with gear due to portages and how deep into the wilderness we go. I did think about bringing a climber if we don’t go far or end up bringing another canoe.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been up there on 5 different trips it's definitely some thick cover. I would agree on the blueberry patch's being key. I would keep an eye on the BWCA forum page this summer and see if there are any areas with a problem bear they are usually pretty vocal about such things.

My partner and I will make our third attempt this fall. You are smart to go later; we like that same period in order to avoid heat and crowds.
IMO, the key is to put enough time into the hunt. We've been chased out by the weather twice and it hurt our chances.
I use a ScentBlaster loaded with sardine oil, ground anise and Jägermeister. My partner uses a homemade concoction for a burn. I have an electric bear fence for keeping our meat safe in we succeed.
if you haven't seen it yet, the DNR publication on the topic has useful information:
BOUNDARY WATERS CANOE AREA WILDERNESS BEAR HUNT INFORMATION
Let me know here or by private message if you have any other questions.