Buying a hunting/mountain horse

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
What places have you had the best luck with buying a hunting/mountain horse? I don't need a fully finished horse. I've bought of Craigslist before but good horses are few and far between. I don't do Facebook and I've never done the sale barns but I'm open to suggestions. The Cody horse sale is above my price point...

Horse market is crazy right now. If you find a good source let me know. I'm selling three this year and they're hard to replace. Good luck in your search.

I had to breed for my replacement stock. I prefer morgans, saddlebred or Tennesee walkers. I know a breeder that had some young geldings that were near the sale age. I bought a young mare I have been happy with.

OP
W

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm intrigued. What are you selling?
From his videos on here he's a hell of a horse trainer. He sells on Cody horse auction which is high end finished horses. I can tolerate a lot more rowdyness 🤣 I'm sure he earns every cent in those horses.

If you meant me - I'm not but there was a Morgan breeder in Whitehall that was going to have some young geldings for sale last spring. A place to start looking.

BKehoe05

FNG
All of my saddle horses are mustangs. You can pick them up for $125 and you don’t find hardier stock.

OP
W

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
All of my saddle horses are mustangs. You can pick them up for $125 and you don’t find hardier stock.
Do you have to sift through a bunch of duds before you find one that is worth riding? Or do you get yours from a specific tip trainer? I know a couple guys with good mustangs but have heard a fair amount of horror stories.

BKehoe05

FNG
Do you have to sift through a bunch of duds before you find one that is worth riding? Or do you get yours from a specific tip trainer? I know a couple guys with good mustangs but have heard a fair amount of horror stories.
I am a TIP trainer. As far as the duds go, there are some duds but of all of the horses I’ve TIP trained only one horse was a complete and utter loss. Some are great saddle horses and some get relegated to packhorse duty.

In years past the cowboys wanted hot, young horses. I have always preferred horses that were too calm for their preferences. They would usually dump them at 10-12 years. I have picked up a few good horses at 16-18.

Lately all of that has gone away. I don't see any horses for sale in the classified. Instead of searching when you need one, its more like search all the time and buy them when you find them. Now I have taken to raising what I need.

I hunt an area about 60 miles across. In 40 years I have only cut horse tracks four times. I guess I'm one of the last of the breed. My biggest challenge is to find a place without quads that have elk.