Buying a Compass On the Internet - Silva Expedition 54

dblust

FNG
In an earlier post titled “Choosing a Compass,” I talked about the three compasses I consider the best choices for the serious back country navigator. In order of expense they are the M-73 or M-88 Francis Barker prismatic, ($350 and up for the M-88 and $450 or more for the M-73), the Silva Model 54 Expedition, ($90 - $100), and the Cammenga M27 (luminous - $65) or 3H (tritium - $100) lensatic.

No one wants to spend more than necessary, and while bargains can be found on Internet auction sites such as eBay, caution must be exercised; it’s easy to inadvertently buy the wrong compass or, in some instances, be ripped off. I'm going to put up three posts on buying these compasses on the Internet - one each for the Francis Barker M-73 or M-88, Cammenga Lensatic, and Silva Expedition 54. (The reason for splitting them up is that I just found out only five images per post are allowed.)

Silva Expedition 54

The danger here is not in knockoffs, but in confusion.

Below is the correct compass, a Silva Model 54 Expedition.

Silva Model 54 Compass.jpg

What can happen is that the seller and/or prospective buyer confuses the Silva Model 54 with the Silva Model 4, shown below.

Silva Model 4 Compass.jpg

While the Model 4 is an excellent compass and a great choice for a backup, it has no sighting system for taking precise bearings.

Telling the difference is a straightforward proposition - look carefully at the images of the Model 54 and Model 4; the Model 54's prism sight is visible on the compass dial and it’s a card compass, while the Model 4 has no sight and features a magnetic needle instead of a circular card.

In addition, the Model 54 is also available graduated in mils rather than degrees. Once again, working with mils is completely practical, but if what you want is a 54 graduated with degrees, you’ll want to confirm that it’s so with the seller.