Buy Once Cry Once?

Yakoun

FNG
Like so many others, I've been researching mid-range backpacking spotters. I'm new to spotters, and really hunting in general and pitifully low on real world info - which is why I joined this group!

I'm interested in walking a few miles into the high country in my area and giving "real" glassing for Mule Deer the ol' college try to see if I like it. Most of my friends don't hunt and those who do prefer to road hunt. My total investment in optics currently consists of a crossfire rifle scope and a pair of viper 8x42 binos.

In my scope research on this forum (and others), I continually run into a particular mantra: "Buy once, cry once", and the often accompanying "Just save up a few more pennies", when someone is getting talked up from a $500 piece of equipment to a $2000 piece of equipment. In all honestly, this is really frustrating for somebody getting into the sport and it doesn't seem all that real world practical.

So I have a question for the "buy once, cry once" crowd... All due respect intended - I know that you're in this position via a ton of experience! What does one do while they're saving up those pennies to buy the spotter/tripod combos that cost multiple thousands of dollars? Just stay home? Road hunt? Buy super low end while saving?

In your opinion, is there NO place for a starter scope of passable quality? Swarovski or a coke bottle - nothing in between?

handwerk

WKR
Although I enjoy some top tier optics, there likely has never before been so many good bino options between $500 and $1000. If you're serious about hunting/glassing that's where I would start...lots of demo and good deals out there to be had.

JakeSCH

WKR
I would jump on this maven cs1 that just was listed or spend the a little extra for new one. I spent the money this year on the Kowa 883 and it is fantastic but honestly until you buy good glass you don't know what you are missing. And if you don't know what you are missing you will be happy with what you have.

All that said, even though I could afford 2 to 3k glass binos I choose to run maven b2's on my chest because I do not believe I am missing anything...sometimes ignorance is bliss when it comes to optics.

Last edited:
When it comes to optics, it is much cheaper to just buy alpha glass and be done with it. A lot of folks tend to piss away money on cheap optics and then buy incrementally better optics over a period of time. When it is all said and done, they've spent a lot more than if they'd just bought alpha glass to begin with.

With that said, reality dictates that many folks do have to work their way up over time due to budget constraints. With this you still should buy the best that you can afford even if it means stretching things just a bit. The good news is there are multiple options available today that provide quite a bit of "bang for the buck". Give Doug (site sponsor) a phone call and talk with him.

Your primary focus should be having a solid pair of binoculars and tripod/head. Then and only then consider a spotting scope. On any given day for my typical style of hunting, my spotting scope may be used for 5 minutes total with the rest of the day (literally) using my binoculars.

As this is your first foray into this type of hunting, you may want to consider renting. You can rent a Swarovski STS for about $150-$200 a week. This is a fairly inexpensive approach to find out if this type of hunting is for you or not. You also get the benefit of not having "lesser quality" optics taint your view point.

wildcat33

WKR
I think spotter is a luxury or for a serious horn hunter that needs to see every detail. A good pair of binos on a tripod will put meat on the ground.

Nikon HG 10x42 (~500 refurbished) with an aluminum promaster tripod + ballhead will get you in the game without a doubt.

You can always rent top tier glass.

I think you need to first ask yourself what hunting is to you, i.e., how invested (not monetarily) in hunting are you. If hunting is just a hobby and trophy and/or mature animals are not your goal, top tier glass is not necessary. If you are just looking to fill the freezer, top tier glass is unnecessary.

If you determine that top tier glass may be necessary, then you can always rent it (there is a sponsor here on Rokslide renting glass and other high dollar equipment), to see for yourself. In the meantime, you can get by with mid level glass.

However, no level of glass will make up for a lack of hunting skills. Plenty of mature animals get harvested by guys with non top tier glass. And top tier glass is not in everyone's budget. However, if you are serious about hunting, harvesting mature animals, and you can swing the cost of top tier glass, or a slight step down from the top tier, I'd go for it. Just keep in mind that pursuing the best can be a bottomless pit. I mean, you can get a pair of binos, and then want a rangefinding pair, then a step up to 15's, then a spotter, then a bigger spotter... So the option of renting and putting the rented optics to the test, can save you some money in the long run. Plus, your rental fee can go toward purchase.

wildcat33

WKR
Its really easy to get caught up (around here) that you need all kinds of top tier equipment. As with any purchase, a trophy purchase like swaro glass or custom rifles, you have to ask yourself "will this make me any happier or more successful?" For a LOT of crap, the answer is no.

I'd take a high quality rain jacket, sleeping bag, and pad over a higher class optic anyday.

TBHasler

WKR
I agree with a lot of what’s been stated above - in terms that this and every other decision is a trade off. Some of the advice on high dollar gear is worth what you paid for it.
I’m not a trophy hunter. I only spend 2 hrs a year behind my spotter and many hunts it stays home because of terrain. My only use is to see details that I can’t with my 12x way off in the distance or confirm/verify what I think I see at more moderate distances. It is always secondary to my binos. For that reason I’ve spent $300 on my spotter and haven’t had want of more. It’s crappy past 45x but it does what I need from 15-40x. I say buy a used spotter in the $250-$400 range and if it works for you - great. If it doesn’t, you’re not likely to want to go spend $1k/$2k more. So sell it for a loss of about $ that you’re gonna spend on a rental. My $.02 best of luck

Legend

WKR
When it comes to optics, it is much cheaper to just buy alpha glass and be done with it. A lot of folks tend to piss away money on cheap optics and then buy incrementally better optics over a period of time. When it is all said and done, they've spent a lot more than if they'd just bought alpha glass to begin with.

With that said, reality dictates that many folks do have to work their way up over time due to budget constraints. With this you still should buy the best that you can afford even if it means stretching things just a bit. The good news is there are multiple options available today that provide quite a bit of "bang for the buck". Give Doug (site sponsor) a phone call and talk with him.

Your primary focus should be having a solid pair of binoculars and tripod/head. Then and only then consider a spotting scope. On any given day for my typical style of hunting, my spotting scope may be used for 5 minutes total with the rest of the day (literally) using my binoculars.

As this is your first foray into this type of hunting, you may want to consider renting. You can rent a Swarovski STS for about $150-$200 a week. This is a fairly inexpensive approach to find out if this type of hunting is for you or not. You also get the benefit of not having "lesser quality" optics taint your view point.
What he said.

chasewild

WKR
If hunting is just a hobby, don't buy top tier glass.

If you walk into the woods to just kill anything, don't buy top tier glass.

If you don't enjoy hours and hours behind glass, don't buy top tier glass.

If you are married to someone that thinks hunting is a complete waste of time and resources, don't buy top tier glass.

If you want to extend the pursuit for an animal in time and space, buy top tier glass first, always and last.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
There is an in between. Have several high end pieces of glass, but have looked for them on sale or used. Swarovski is really good and you can find items on sale, demos or in the classified. Found that you can get some good deals on Kowa spotters in the classifieds or through Doug at CameralandNY. Patience is the key, unfortunately. There are some out there that offer near alpha quality without the price. Two examples I have found were the Pentax WCF SP binos (have the 8x43) and a Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 spotter. Pretty close for the price.

OP
Yakoun

Yakoun

FNG
Wow, a ton of great insight here. Way more than I expected. Thank you. I had NO idea that there was such a thing as rental optics. I'll have to see if that is available in my area (Kamloops, BC). Looks like a tripod of some description is next on the list to get the flavour of glassing with just my binos. I really like the concept of examining the type of hunter you are - never really considered that. First and foremost, I am a bad one. Really I'm looking to spend some more interactive time in the amazing landscape that surrounds me, chasing an ethical and environmentally conscious source of meat. Currently it IS a hobby amongst many others and I WOULD shoot the very first thing that is legal. I'm also a steelhead spey fisherman, so I am well aware of how much of a knuckle dragger this makes me sound like - but hey - got to start somewhere. I will most certainly reach out to Doug. I've seen his comments in plenty of optics posts and it sounds like he knows his business. Thanks again for all the responses!

Michael54

WKR
Y
Wow, a ton of great insight here. Way more than I expected. Thank you. I had NO idea that there was such a thing as rental optics. I'll have to see if that is available in my area (Kamloops, BC). Looks like a tripod of some description is next on the list to get the flavour of glassing with just my binos. I really like the concept of examining the type of hunter you are - never really considered that. First and foremost, I am a bad one. Really I'm looking to spend some more interactive time in the amazing landscape that surrounds me, chasing an ethical and environmentally conscious source of meat. Currently it IS a hobby amongst many others and I WOULD shoot the very first thing that is legal. I'm also a steelhead spey fisherman, so I am well aware of how much of a knuckle dragger this makes me sound like - but hey - got to start somewhere. I will most certainly reach out to Doug. I've seen his comments in plenty of optics posts and it sounds like he knows his business. Thanks again for all the responses!
You can easily get by with $500 glass. When i factor my budget on stuff like this i always factor in how much they will be used. Would i love the new swaro nl pure? Absolutely, however the environment i hunt most of the time my cheap 8x32 leupolds are sufficient. When i go out west i take my wifes 10x42 vipers. If i lived out west and had time to scout/shed hunt/hike on top of actually hunting instead of using them 8bdays out of every other year i'd be more willing to buy elite glass.

TomJoad

WKR
This additional info has me recommending forget the spotter altogether. Per @AZ_Hunter_2000 spend your money on better binos and a good tripod set-up for comfortable long stretches of glassing. You just don't need it if your not trophy hunting. I own an alpha spotter and it doesn't make it in the pack for 90% of my hunts. It always comes on scouting missions and is really (really) nice to have but in the field I only roll with alpha 10x42's.

Otherwise save that money and put it into other areas of your kit per @wildcat33. There are other pieces of gear that have bigger positive impacts on my backcountry hunts, lightening my pack and making life a tiny more comfortable and bearable.

Bkdc

FNG
There are very good scopes in the 500 to 1000 dollar range. I would buy used. And I would buy a brand with a known future resale value (like Vortex) as it is unlikely to go bankrupt and leave the owner without future customer service options. You can use it and sell it without much loss until you are ready to step up to the premium (alpha) class. Many sport optics companies comes and go. A lifetime warranty is only as good as the company’s ability to stay in business.

But if you have a Viper bino, I agree that spending money on a better bino is the better first step.

fwafwow

WKR
I am one of those "buy once, cry once" guys. I bet I've even put that in multiple RS posts. BUT, I question that approach frequently (especially after the fact) and wonder if I need to reallocate my resources. Just today I posted something about my binos and I wonder if I even need the alpha glass I have - for any of my needs. Thank goodness my spotter research and buying efforts have failed!

Great advice above, from people (unlike me) who actually know what they are saying. Unrelated to your question, the way you asked it is an approach that will get you a lot of helpful feedback, and respect on here. Welcome to RS and good luck in your search!

OP
Yakoun

Yakoun

FNG
I am one of those "buy once, cry once" guys. I bet I've even put that in multiple RS posts. BUT, I question that approach frequently (especially after the fact) and wonder if I need to reallocate my resources. Just today I posted something about my binos and I wonder if I even need the alpha glass I have - for any of my needs. Thank goodness my spotter research and buying efforts have failed!

Great advice above, from people (unlike me) who actually know what they are saying. Unrelated to your question, the way you asked it is an approach that will get you a lot of helpful feedback, and respect on here. Welcome to RS and good luck in your search!
It's such a hard one though. I can't think of a time in my life where I've regretted buying quality a year later, but I can think of lots of times when I have regretted buying low end almost immediately. But then again, not even close to every low end decision has been regrettable. I suppose we just all have to find that line that works for us. Thanks for the welcome and the reply!