But... You don't understand!

Hunterbug

FNG
I don't get it. I look forward to hunting all year long. If I'm not hunting somewhere, I'm thinking about hunting somewhere....
I can't imagine pulling up early over fear. I would feel like such a failure.
If a hunting partner wanted to check out that early, he would be on his own headed home. No chance that I would pull up without some good reason.... illness, death in family, etc

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
Even a death in the family. I mean, I can't help them anyway so........

seww

WKR
One time I was staying in a public use cabin, and the cover for the heater fell off in the middle of the night. I came up screaming and swinging. In that state I thought a bear had gotten into the cabin. It was an intense experience, but we all laughed about it afterward. I do not understand myself what caused me to do that.
This reminds of one time moose hunting with the family, and in the middle of the night my dad fell from the top bunk and hit the stove, head first in the corner!
He forgot he was in the top bunk and being drunk didn't help. Or it did help since he would have hurt himself worse if he wasn't :)
It was interesting trying to clean him up with a headlamp, in the night with drunk uncles around me who had no idea what was going on...

Dad did get a concussion but hunted the next day, seeing stars...

Northpark

WKR
I couldn’t have typed a better response!

I’m also amazed at the number of comments (not just in this thread) denying any fear of the outdoors except for a completely fictional character (bigfoot). Hilarious!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re welcome.😁

Rich M

WKR
Shoulda took a woman. At least if you only last 90 minutes in the dark you could brag about it.

I picked a buddy up from his house on the way to a 9-day elk hunt and would have paid good money on day 3 to send him home in an Uber. Never again. They wanna come, they drive. That's the least they can do to show their level of commitment.

My brother has said he wants to go with me for about 6 years now but he's never been able to drive up and he's 2 hours closer than I am. As the meme goes...Ain't nobody got time for that.

ewade07

WKR
I will just never understand the mind of someone that wants to leave and or is afraid of the dark as an adult. I remember in high school hiking in to scout a spot with my buddy. He was late, so we ended up hiking in 3 hrs in the dark so we could glass at first light. Walking up the trail our headlamps danced over some eyeballs, prob 10 sets. He stopped in his tracks "Dude, what the hell is that, those eyes!!!" I was like, "Well, there is a bunch of them, so prob deer. Mountain lions and bears don't travel in packs of 10....". He wanted me to draw down on the eyeballs with my .357. We walked up and into that group of ferocious doe mule deer. I couldn't understand it then, and certainly can't now. To this day he is back in camp before dark. And he wonders why he has never killed an elk...
Ol Kentucky.

Mosby

WKR
Even a death in the family. I mean, I can't help them anyway so........
My father in law died when I was fishing the San Juan river in NM years ago. It took 3 days before I got the message. I called my wife....told her how sorry I was and I stayed and kept fishing. I worked 7 days a week back then. Not even a death in the family was getting me to leave early. She delayed the service until I got back home.

IDLassie

FNG
At 19 I started my fire lookout career. One night I let it get to me. Crawled into the sleeping bag inside the lookout. Told myself if I was alive come morning then there was nothing to worry about. Spent 40 years on mountain tops. More worried about 2 legged idiots than animals. Usually had a dog or two with me.

Been hunting in the back country and had to ride out. Going up the mountain horses snorted and there was something big and black walking off the road. Of course we had been talking about Yeti a few days before so I was a little jazzed up. Of course nothing happened to me or the horses. It was a moose of course. That ride started at daylight in about 15* temps and the ride ended about 8p when my dad picked the horses and I up then a 4 hour drive out. Great times and memories now.

Our minds are a hard thing to over come at times. My biggest thing is I don't like breezes or wind blowing on me while sleeping. So prefer a tent. At my age now prefer a big tent so I can stand up and a cot can't get up and down off the floors.

People are to domesticated they like their comfort and easy life. Takes a lot to camp, keep a camp and prep a camp.