Bushnell vs nightforce

Well I just ordered an lrhs2 from gap. I counted up the results and 6 for Bushnell and 5 for NF. Likely to change as others put their two cents in. I grew up shooting Bushnell and although they are more recently considered low end I hope this Japan made Bushnell scope gives me what I want. The reticle seems more intuitive to me. I like the extra mag, weight savings, turrets, and no fault warranty on the Bushnell. Granted they can't replace this scope since they don't make it anymore.

I know NF has been long considered top of the line since the early 2000's. I remember not long after they came out they were all the rage but I really do want Bushnell to succeed. I just wish they would focus on the mid price range glass though. If nothing else this limited run lrhs2 should have some additional nostalgia when I never sell it haha.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk
I think you’re going to be very happy with your choice. I just picked up another rifle and I’m considering buying a 3rd to go on it

Also the Bushnell ballistic app is pretty slick. It uses applied ballistics data and will overlay your holdovers onto your reticle. Makes it pretty dummy proof when you’re playing around with wind calls and holdovers at distance to peek down at your app and have the yardage called out

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Also the Bushnell ballistic app is pretty slick

Sweet man thanks for adding that. Gotta play with this a lot to see how it works with my gun and elevation. I'll work up a dope and see how accurate this is and report back.

Let us know how it goes and post here if you’ve got questions when it comes in! All of my dopes have been dead on using that app out to 1000 thus far.

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
@sndmn11 I know you like the SHV more and i appreciate your input and want to meet up, don't take offense to me choosing the lrhs haha. I may buy one those shv's for a really good shooting Ruger predator I have, just gotta weigh finances with the woman. I've got a dreaded diamondback hp that has held zero within 1.5" through a truck door slamming on it so it'll work with my 12yo nephew this year.

sndmn11

WKR
@sndmn11 I know you like the SHV more and i appreciate your input and want to meet up, don't take offense to me choosing the lrhs haha. I may buy one those shv's for a really good shooting Ruger predator I have, just gotta weigh finances with the woman. I've got a dreaded diamondback hp that has held zero within 1.5" through a truck door slamming on it so it'll work with my 12yo nephew this year.

Cool, now I can compare and add pictures to obe of those threads. There's a lot to like with both of those scopes and not a bad choice.

That is an extremely sub optimal way to use mils.
I appreciate you sharing your opinion! For some it may be, but it’s worked very well for my application. That’s why saying which scope is best for anyone is a near impossible task.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What do you mean?

Look at the picture he posted and quickly find where to aim for 474 yards?
6A652C11-505A-495F-AF0D-5ED677BD1C1F.png

How about 580? Or 298? Or any other random number. Using it like that defeats the entire advantage of mils, and turns it into a broke BDC. You have no hard point to aim with, you’re just trying to guess between non linear values.

I agree with what form is saying, I just think that’s a handy part of the ballistics app that helps guys like me coming from MOA get acquainted with MILS and practice hold overs at known distances. I just have those memorized for hunting scenarios where I may not have time to dial.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I agree with what form is saying, I just think that’s a handy part of the ballistics app that helps guys like me coming from MOA get acquainted with MILS and practice hold overs at known distances. I just have those memorized for hunting scenarios where I may not have time to dial.

Guarantee it takes longer to locate the spot to hold visually between those weird ranges noted, and just spinning a turret… or holding 1.8 mils, etc.

Guarantee it takes longer to locate the spot to hold visually between those weird ranges noted, and just spinning a turret… or holding 1.8 mils, etc.
I whole heartedly agree. In all honesty this is my first venture into dialing on a regular basis and I am learning to trust it more and more as I use these scopes. I don’t really intent to ever use hold overs in a hunting situation as these scopes have proven to track 100% reliably on both ends.

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
How about 580? Or 298? Or any other random number. Using it like that defeats the entire advantage of mils, and turns it into a broke BDC. You have no hard point to aim with, you’re just trying to guess between non linear values.

I understand that. I thought you were saying the hash marks were a bad design. Part of the reason I got this scope was to get away from the bdc guessing game. I will try the app for the range card function

In general Nightforce line up beats bushnells line up at every price point. Except these two, I’ve had both and the LRTS/LRHS line spanks the SHV and it’s not even close.

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Got the lrhs 2 mounted up. Easily clears the barrel with t084 and had to take the throw lever off like others have mentioned but the bolt clears the little hump by about .158 inches.

The reticle seems awesome even at low power considering I come from sfp scopes. Much more usable then a friend that has an lht 4.5 that is almost invisible at low power.

Not super impressed with the eye box/ eye relief at max power but I understand that going to 18 power comes with costs.

Hope to shoot it this week and do some very basic dialing tests on it, not going to drop it like others do because I cannot afford to"test" scopes like that.
c7db8966d84e4701732eb3107fe0b598.jpg

slowelk

WKR
Got the lrhs 2 mounted up. Easily clears the barrel with t084 and had to take the throw lever off like others have mentioned but the bolt clears the little hump by about .158 inches.

The reticle seems awesome even at low power considering I come from sfp scopes. Much more usable then a friend that has an lht 4.5 that is almost invisible at low power.

Not super impressed with the eye box/ eye relief at max power but I understand that going to 18 power comes with costs.

Hope to shoot it this week and do some very basic dialing tests on it, not going to drop it like others do because I cannot afford to"test" scopes like that.
c7db8966d84e4701732eb3107fe0b598.jpg

I’ve not had any issues with eye relief of eye box with that scope. Get out and get shooting before you jump to any conclusions.