Burros being shot in Cali

Btaylor

WKR
Arent abandoned vehicles normally taken to the impound? Why did they dump them out there in the desert? Responsibility obviously falls on DOT or Hwy Dept. They should be fined for illegal dumping along with endangerment of wildlife and cruelty to animals for putting them out there where they could be shot at and with no pasture.

cmahoney

WKR
Just came back from the CA Lassen antelope with my buddy who had the tag and we saw about 50/50 antelope to Burro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
Back in the mid to late 70's a friend of mine and I were contacted about going down to southern California and hunting wild burros. I don't remember the exact amount they were going to pay us, but it was enough to make us sit up and take notice about hunting burros. We talked about it and I had to many other obligations going on at the time.

The feral animals need to be reduced, but poaching isn't the way to do it.

This gives ammo to the tree huggers to drum up sympathy for the free roaming horses and burros, when they are really a plague on the landscape. This is a very shortsighted move in a battle that will be fought in the court of public opinion.

As ethical hunters and conservationists, I think we should condemn this poaching while still calling for a reduction of the non native horses and burros to prevent further damage to the landscape and native wildlife.

If I remember correctly the blm has been sterilizing them and praying the numbers decrease for years,and from what I heard also tried to get people to adopt the things,same with wild horses. It's only a matter of time before they hire shooters to remove some of the population. They will just be sly about it.

The burro herd down here on the lower Colorado River has a herd management level of 165 burros. This number was set as the maximum number the habit could support. The herd management area covers BLM land, Yuma Proving Ground land and 2 National Wildlife Refuges, Cibola and Imperial Nwrs. BLM has never gotten the herd even close to this number over the past 30 years. Current numbers are estimated to be between 1200 and 1500 burros. It is a major problem and negatively affects the desert mule deer and desert bighorn sheep herds. I guess some folks are just fed up with the inaction of BLM and are taking the only action they can. Many have urged Arizona Game and Fish to declare burros big game animals and issue hunt tags!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
The burro herd down here on the lower Colorado River has a herd management level of 165 burros. This number was set as the maximum number the habit could support. The herd management area covers BLM land, Yuma Proving Ground land and 2 National Wildlife Refuges, Cibola and Imperial Nwrs. BLM has never gotten the herd even close to this number over the past 30 years. Current numbers are estimated to be between 1200 and 1500 burros. It is a major problem and negatively affects the desert mule deer and desert bighorn sheep herds. I guess some folks are just fed up with the inaction of BLM and are taking the only action they can. Many have urged Arizona Game and Fish to declare burros big game animals and issue hunt tags!

Seen that destruction first hand a few years ago. It was unbelievable.

The BLM really has their hands tied by the Wild and Free Roaming Horse and Burro act. It is a terrible predicament the agency has been put in and animal rights activists keep making it worse.

Mosby

WKR
Doesn't surprise me that they won't allow the symbol of the preferred party in California to be destroyed, regardless of the consequences.

1567143798442.png

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
On a side note anybody know how they taste? Just wondering....
Supposed to taste great. We had a herd of over a thousand here on the Big Island in HI, i've heard of guys hunting them and eating them but never tried it my self. They started removing them and tried finding people to adopt them, also heard a lot of them got shipped to Cali.