Burn Areas for deer/Elk

thewoods

FNG
How many years after a burn in general is prime to be hunting for elk or deer and for good feed and still be open for good glassing. Also how many years can it still benefit before it gets overgrown. I have been messing around with the onx fire layers which is interesting

dtrkyman

WKR
Timing and intensity of the burn will play a roll as well as moisture after!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MHWASH

WKR
I've seen elk in burn that same fall if the rain gets there in time. Like others have said anywhere from 5-10 yrs after the burn can be good.

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
The area we hunt burned 10 years ago and the elk hunting didn’t change. Elk were along the fringe of the burn, in patches of cover the fire mosaic pattern left behind, and even in areas of intense fire activity where the tree roots burned in the ground. Don’t let a burn scare you off! One thing to consider though is falling trees when you set up a camp, when a wind blows they will be falling.

Our area experienced a heavy winter directly after the burn and there was some crazy erosion the next spring that washed out miles of major trails and drastically changed the stream channels and draw bottom topography/blow down. The fire changed things up but we figured other ways in and had to relocate our backcountry camp. Good luck.