Building points in non hunt years

bdg848

WKR
I have kind of a broad question and I'm expecting some broad answers but at least it will be a starting point....I am trying to change careers and between training cost and low entry level pay for the new job, i'm expecting money to be tight and I won't be able to do any out of state hunts for probably three years. In the mean time, I want to build some bonus/preference points so the time off isn't wasted. I have zero in any state currently. I'm interested in Elk and Mule deer. I will probably use an outfitter in the future if that matters since my last two hunts have been unproductive. Do you guys have any suggestions on which states to look at? Or if you don't want to "hotspot" a state, do you at least know which states do bonus points and which use preference points? Even that would help me make a decision. Thanks.

wytx

WKR
Even some guided hunts require PP to draw the tags.
I'd be buying PP for Wyoming and maybe Colorado, CO does have an OTC option for NR .
Can't speak for other states on PP.

CorbLand

WKR
Let’s put this the simplest way. Idaho and New Mexico are the only western states that don’t have some form of point system. There are plenty of YouTube video explaining each state and their draw systems.

You are going to have to do your research and decide what is best for you.

Rich M

WKR
WY is the cheapest.

I stand corrected below. Shows how much effort i put into it. Did CO and WY.

Last edited:
WY is pref point where unless you have X amount required, you won’t draw.

Whereas AZ has bonus point which means you get a chance every year in theory, so more years of bonus points equals better chances. But generally most bonus points wins, but others do have a chance unlike WYs pref points.

Then there are random draws where you do have a snowballs chance in hell to grab a tag (slim odds).

Lots of diff angles to play.

I would suggest making short term 1-3 years, and 5-15 year plans on hunt types and states. And go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archer86

WKR
25 percent of wyoming nr tags are a random draw as long as the unit has enough tags to have some there so if you actually look up that info and figure out which units offer random tags there is a chance with less point guys do it every year

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Don't the Montana points only last 3 years or you can only accumulate 3 points?
That’s the preference points. The bonus points are the ones you need to start accumulating first. Montana uses both.

Get a notebook and google each state you’re interested in and their draw. Lots of differences in them

Let’s put this the simplest way. Idaho and New Mexico are the only western states that don’t have some form of point system. There are plenty of YouTube video explaining each state and their draw systems.

You are going to have to do your research and decide what is best for you.
This.

Also, I tend to pick destinations for hunting/fishing trips based on where I want to go.

This year's hunt was in Wyoming, because I wanted to go back to Wyoming. So I worked the details around that.

What's your priority? Scenery? Experience? Size of kill?

Fitzwho

WKR
I would ask where you are located and to probably just look at building points in the states closest to you. So if you live in Wisconsin, I wouldn't tell you to build points in Arizona and Nevada for example (wouldn't tell anybody to start building points in Nevada actually).

Costs to Build Points for Deer and elk:
Arizona: $190 to apply for deer and elk annually
Colorado: $116
Wyoming: Fall points purchase: Elk $52, Deer $41, Pronghorn $31 for a total of $124.
Montana: Only Buy Elk/Deer/Antelope Bonus Points: $25 a piece. Do not buy a big game preference point until the year before you plan on applying, and even then you don't necessarily need that.
South Dakota: $10 per species you feel like applying for, fall points purchase like Montana and Wyoming.
Kansas: $26.50 for a deer point
Iowa: $50 for deer points
Nevada All Species: $268 with no extras (Silver State tags, etc)