Build or buy?

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking about building a 6.5 PRC for my all purpose hunting rifle here in CO. Right now I’m leaning towards the MDT HNT26 chassis and a proof barrel. I’ve also considered buying a tikka roughtech and eventually swapping the barrel with something like a proof.

Considered 7 PRC but I’m worried about finding ammo right, whereas 6.5 PRC is all over the place in my area.

Has anyone built a 6.5 PRC on the MDT chassis? Any tips/recommendations would be appreciated.

rrbailey

FNG
I’m thinking about building a 6.5 PRC for my all purpose hunting rifle here in CO. Right now I’m leaning towards the MDT HNT26 chassis and a proof barrel. I’ve also considered buying a tikka roughtech and eventually swapping the barrel with something like a proof.

Considered 7 PRC but I’m worried about finding ammo right, whereas 6.5 PRC is all over the place in my area.

Has anyone built a 6.5 PRC on the MDT chassis? Any tips/recommendations would be appreciated.
Sorry this is the first response to your post, but what did you elect to do - build or buy the PRC? I’m in your shoes right now, debating on building or buying+barrel upgrade. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you sir.

OP
rockymtnsam

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry this is the first response to your post, but what did you elect to do - build or buy the PRC? I’m in your shoes right now, debating on building or buying+barrel upgrade. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you sir.
I decided to buy. 7 PRC ammo is much more available now, I’m waiting on a Seekins Element in 7 PRC.

I will build a rifle one day, but my thought process was, this is a rifle I’m gonna shoot a handful of times per year so it’s not worth spending $1000 more to build one. Although that’s the plan eventually!

rrbailey

FNG
I decided to buy. 7 PRC ammo is much more available now, I’m waiting on a Seekins Element in 7 PRC.

I will build a rifle one day, but my thought process was, this is a rifle I’m gonna shoot a handful of times per year so it’s not worth spending $1000 more to build one. Although that’s the plan eventually!
Thanks for the response. I’m sure the Element will be a sweet setup for ya!

Syncerus1

FNG
I'm looking at doing the very same for a 7PRC in a PR MTR rifle. Really like the Element also. Please follow up with your honest feedback on the Seekins please!

OP
rockymtnsam

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at doing the very same for a 7PRC in a PR MTR rifle. Really like the Element also. Please follow up with your honest feedback on the Seekins please!
Will do. I’ve heard great things and have a buddy that toured the factory, I’ve also joined some FB groups and they’re legit.

Syncerus1

FNG
Seekins is located on the opposite side of our state from my location, and they have a really good reputation. The weight of their bolt guns is my only issue, hence the lean towards PR. I believe in comparable platforms the PR is about a pound lighter at least. Looking forward to hearing about your set up! Thanks.

I built a LH Tikka 6.5PRC. I like it very much. Great cartridge.

l have a couple 7mm mags, too, and wouldn't try to talk someone out of a 7PRC. .284 is fantastic on game.

Last edited: