Bugled in a mature bull last night. Odds of doing it again tonight?

Elite

WKR
So here is the story. I went out for a evening hike and it was crazy windy and some times would shift. Not perfect I know but I was checking out the area. So when I could down Into the bottom of creek bed I let out a bugle and hear one way off in the distance. I respond and nothing. So I just sit and listen. Then he lets out another closer. I started thinking about quietly leaving and waiting for a better wind but then he lets a growl and chuckle out within 100 yards. So I let a bugle out and then silently move up for the wind and sit a wait (solo archery) I then hear him coming in and see him at 65 yards but the bush is thick and no clear shooting lanes for the arrow. He then must of smelt me and turned around and then let out a bugle/chuckle and that was it? Wondering if it’s worth going back in to night with better wind or let him be?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not if he smelled you... You might find him in the general area, but I'd expect he's moved a bit.

*Edit to add, that I'd still go hunting, vs. not. Just wouldn't expect him in the same bowl again, and I'd probably play a completely different calling sequence, and different reeds, if you think you're on the same bull. He has a smell to associate with the encounter yesterday.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
That bull probably wouldn't have bugled as a response to smelling you. He more likely would have just bailed.

That’s the part I was a bit confused about. It seemed like he switched directions quick but then let out a bugle and chuckle…

Laramie

WKR
I have had bulls bugle after smelling me, especially when they have cows. I called one off his herd that I came very close to killing until the wind switched. He ran 200 yards back to his cows and bugled the rest of the morning as he pushed the cows up and over a ridge. Never saw him again.

If there was one bull there, good chance others use the area as well. No reason not to hunt.

If he did smell you then you won’t be re-enacting that same scenario. Think like an elk. Where would you go? Probably not into the next county. Maybe one ridge over. If no cows busted you then they’re still going about business as usual and he’s not going to be far from them. He’s not the only bull in town either.

You could start near that spot but be ready to relocate your elk.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
If he did smell you then you won’t be re-enacting that same scenario. Think like an elk. Where would you go? Probably not into the next county. Maybe one ridge over. If no cows busted you then they’re still going about business as usual and he’s not going to be far from them. He’s not the only bull in town either.

You could start near that spot but be ready to relocate your elk.

I didn’t see any cows with him at all, he definitely came in from a ways away so thinking he was looking for cows

Wheels

WKR
Do a bit of cow calling in the same general area, if he responds, move as close as possible before calling again. Take the game to him with a good wind.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have had bulls bugle after smelling me, especially when they have cows. I called one off his herd that I came very close to killing until the wind switched. He ran 200 yards back to his cows and bugled the rest of the morning as he pushed the cows up and over a ridge. Never saw him again.

If there was one bull there, good chance others use the area as well. No reason not to hunt.
Same. Bulls will bugle as they leave. You’ll sit there in anticipation and then realize they’re moving out of the country and bugling the whole way.