budget Over/under shotgun.

gearguywb

WKR
The bottom line is that at 1K there are not a lot of good options. As others have said, try to find a quality used gun, but even then you will have trouble finding something at the 1K mark that is in good shape.

You really need to handle a few guns, and if you are not truly familiar with how a shotgun should be fit, spend a bit of time (and money).

Just because a gun fits your price range does not make it a good value, particularly if it does not fit well. Shooting a shotgun well is all about fit.....before you ever step foot on a range to try it out.

Check out the Yildiz the guys mention above. Only at Academy in the southeast but may be worth calling a friend if you’re not local. I know a guy that runs a quail plantation (quail, ducks) and told me to get one. He’s probably seen more shots fired than 99% of the hunting community. I will probably grab another in 20 for my kids.

Good luck either way.

Loper

WKR
Okay, so I'm really looking for a good USED gun.

I have a lead on a Beretta 686 essential for $700. It's in ok shape, small dings and scratches, slight discolored smudges on the receiver etc. and one inch long crack on the fore end. My dad just bought the same gun three weeks ago in similar shape for $450. Is $700 a bit much or did my dad get a really good deal and I'm just not as lucky?

Also does anyone have a reasonable figure for a Beretta Blackwing in fair/good condition?

Opinions and figures on the Franchi Diamon Elite and Franchi Instinct L?

Are you looking to get something ASAP or do you have time to wait, figure out EXACTLY what you are looking for, and potentially wait for the perfect deal and/or save up more money?

I was in the a similar situation a year or two ago and had about 8 months before quail season.

I had actually won a 28 gauge CZ Drake O/U at a DU event and if it weren’t a 28 or if I was a really good shot, I would stick with it and be happy with it. However, I wanted a 20 gauge and so the search began.

In my limited experience it can be difficult to handle guns because very few places near me have double barrel shotguns on the rack.

Ultimately, I decided on a Browning Cynergy mostly because I liked the looks, weight and the fact that there isn’t any cant in the stock (I’m a left handed shooter). Additionally, I knew that Brownings are reputable and if I had any issues, their customer service would handle it. However, if I didn’t find a good deal on one, I was completely fine, going through the hunting season with my 12 gauge auto loader.

I’d like to say I handled or shot a Cynergy and it fit me like a glove, but that’s not the case. I waited until I found a good deal on a used gun online, took a bit of a gamble and bought it. My thinking was that if a bought a used gun in good condition at a good enough price and didn’t like it, I could resell it and either make a little bit of money or lose a little bit, but not a lot.

Now that I have it, I love it. It swings nice, the action opens very smoothly compared to the CZ I won, and I dont notice any recoil with supple Browning recoil pad.

I’m typically the guy who sees rifles and shotguns as tools and not something to stare at or cry over if they get scratched. I paid a little more than your budget, which was a lot for me (I shoot a Mossberg 930 auto loader and Ruger American rifle to give you an example of the types of guns I hunt with). However, for a double barrel upland shotgun, I was ok spending more than a budget gun.

I don’t have any feedback on the Berretta or the price as I’m not familiar with these. I’m by no means trying to encourage to you purchase the gun I did, I’m just sharing my experience and thought process in case it helps. Take it with a grain of salt.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I was in this situation 4 months ago but been thinking about it for 3 years leading up to purchase.

My train of thought on this budget is buy used in a “big” name and try to find a deal. Or buy an import new from a larger company with a reputation to uphold.

For example I just picked up a Cz sxs and I am beyond pleased.

In my case interchangeable choke were a must as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't touch that damaged Beretta you mentioned. You can probably find an SKB 690 for around $1k. They are known for good quality for the money.

GWT

FNG
My main woods hunting shotgun is a cz bobwhite 20 ga sxs. I’ve put hundreds of round through it without problems. I’ve also shot a lot of the cz o/u and been impressed with them but I’ve been lucky to find used brownings for around 1k.

If you are patient and have time to wait you should be able to find a reasonably priced browning or beretta if that’s what you really want but if you need a gun now I would go with a cz.

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
I've been very happy with my CZ shotguns. That being said, unless you "need" it now, I'd save up some change and find a Browning Citori that fits your needs.

Macintosh

WKR
686 essential is “fine”, but 700 seems a bit high given the condition you described. 450 seems low as well. Id expect it to get 700 or a touch more in good shape. The essential is good, it’s basically to a 686 what a 870express is compared to a wingmaster…same gun but nothing at all dressing it up, “genuine wood” stock with chunkier lines, no mid-ribs, etc. I have one, its a good gun functionally, just not as fancied up as other berettas. Blackwing is also good but will bring a bit more as its also a budget model but a bit more similar to berettas higher grade 696’s—just fewer options, still no mid-ribs, lower-grade wood and less embellishment but the same lines as the rest of the 686 clan. I like the blacked actions better anyway(its purely cosmetic), but this gun is otherwise the exact same as the whitewing which is more common. If its in good shape thatd be worth looking into more. Been a few years since ive really followed prices but quick look online Id expect to pay in the ballpark of 1000-1200 or so for a 12ga in decent shape.

Last edited:
I am looking for an over/under for upland hunting for $1k. Just hunting, no trap/skeet. Obviously, if I find a used Citori or Beretta that fits my needs, I will buy that. However, for new guns, I am looking at the CZ redhead and redhead All terrain model vs the Mossberg International Silver reserve. Does anyone have any RECENT experience with either? I've seen some old reviews saying the Mossberg has issues but I'm pretty sure that was with the old version of that gun and the new one is an entirely different gun. The CZ is $300 more than the Mossberg and I'm curious if it is a notch higher in quality to justify that.
As an upland hunting guide I have seen my fair share of over unders. If I was going to buy an over under I would go with either a citori or a beretta. Both of those guns are far superior to anything CZ or mossberg has recently come up with. I had a client last week that had a new CZ project upland and the second barrel didn’t fire. Never had any issues with my citori. I dropped it down a mountain side last November Chuckar hunting. Picked it back up and it was scratched up some but still shot perfectly. Buy it nice or buy it twice. Hope this helps

Reactions: OMB
OP
B

bdg848

WKR
So I've been looking for used guns. Here are some pics of the muzzle of a citori that, otherwise, is in very good condition and looks quite nice. Are those scratches and dings anything to be concerned about for structure or function or is it just cosmetic? If they were scratching and dings on the wood or receiver, I wouldn't be concerned but since they are at the muzzle and on the choke tube I didn't know if that was like having scratches on the crown of a rifle muzzle or something.Screenshot_20221220-154259~2.pngScreenshot_20221220-154321~2.png

Macintosh

WKR
So I've been looking for used guns. Here are some pics of the muzzle of a citori that, otherwise, is in very good condition and looks quite nice. Are those scratches and dings anything to be concerned about for structure or function or is it just cosmetic? If they were scratching and dings on the wood or receiver, I wouldn't be concerned but since they are at the muzzle and on the choke tube I didn't know if that was like having scratches on the crown of a rifle muzzle or something.View attachment 490385View attachment 490386
If the chokes spin freely in and out its totally fine. If they are out of round the choke will hang up or not spin at all. —probably not a deal breaker but possibly a PITA. Dont drop your shotgun without a choke tube in it!

Rich M

WKR
I upland hunt with an ithaca sxs mod & full, 1 trigger. Love it.

Bought a new citori as a consolation prize in 1996 for about $1100. It’s a safe queen cause it is heavy.

Regret getting rid of a ruger red label all weather. What a nice gun that was.

If i had to buy new and could only have 1 it would be the red label.