Budget Muzzleloader Recommendations for Nilgai

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I drew a Laguna Atascosa NWR exotic tag for February of this year. It’s for the Bahia Grande unit, which when applying, I wasn’t aware was a muzzleloader tag, it just said firearm. It was an oversight on my part for sure, but when applying in TX, I put in for 40-50 draws so don’t read the fine print on all.
The unit has only been open for a year or two and think there is a good chance of success. The country is wide open, so would really benefit me to be able to shoot 200 yards, if not more. Here is the issue, I’ll likely never muzzleloader hunt again. I don’t whitetail hunt, applications I put in 90% archery and 10% rifle, it’s just not something I’ll regularly need or use. Any suggestions for something that won’t break the bank? I’m so out of the loop on this stuff, last time I was in the muzzleloader world powerbelt bullets had just been released.
Really don’t want to spend a ton of money but would love some Nilgai meat.

T.C

FNG
I've had great luck with cva wolf and they are cheap. I use blackhorn 209 powder with the breech plug you can purchase for loose power or I think you can just drill a small hole in the plug that comes in it. Barnes tez 250 or 290 and the think blows me away how accurate it is.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Second on the CVA Wolf. Cheap and cheerful. Accurate too. I'm a fan of the Hornady line of muzz projectiles. I keep it simple w/ Triple 7 pellets.
It just so happens that Midway has a sale on one of the Accura series for $497 if you're looking for a bit more reach (which may be a real factor w/ spooky Nilgai).

CVA optima is working well for me, using blackhorn by weight and thor bullets. might try no excuses once i use up the thors. One things for sure - I need a scope that dials reliably to get the full benefit of this rig, it's pretty accurate at 100 but the scope i'm using does not track reliably.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up ordering the CVA Accura mr-x midway had for $479. Seemed like a good deal and no one else was running any sales on them. Keep the load data coming, especially if you have this gun. Appears options now are abundant.

Heat

FNG
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up ordering the CVA Accura mr-x midway had for $479. Seemed like a good deal and no one else was running any sales on them. Keep the load data coming, especially if you have this gun. Appears options now are abundant.
I almost got that rifle too but I chickened out after reading a few bad reports about Accura 45s. Let us know how it goes. Great deal on a nice rifle for sure. Hopefully works well for you.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I almost got that rifle too but I chickened out after reading a few bad reports about Accura 45s. Let us know how it goes. Great deal on a nice rifle for sure. Hopefully works well for you.
Hope so, problem now is I did not look at component availability before getting the .45. I assumed incorrectly that since muzzleloader has come and gone, components (bullets particularly) would available. Only thing I’m finding in .45 is powerbelt.

Search up my posts. Go with Parker bullets sized to bore and bh209. Works great and shoots better than the ELR powerbelts. Sell the setup when you're done.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Search up my posts. Go with Parker bullets sized to bore and bh209. Works great and shoots better than the ELR powerbelts. Sell the setup when you're done.
The sized to bore is new to me. Looks like I’d need to put even more into this to get dies and a press to do it right. Any way to get around this except sabot/.40 cal bullet?

Heat

FNG
You should be able to find some Hornady XTP in 200 Grain with Harvester sabot for your .45 that should work well. Good reports on those!

The sized to bore is new to me. Looks like I’d need to put even more into this to get dies and a press to do it right. Any way to get around this except sabot/.40 cal bullet?

You should be able to find the powerbelts online, and many users report that they do shoot well if you can work up a load. The sizing die is really easy if you have a press already.

I would just source bh209 and a couple packs of powerbelts to see if you can find a load that shoots as the easiest path forward since that was what your rifle was designed for.

I impulsively bought my LR-X like you but went ahead and went all in on components to make it shoot 1 MOA. If you can stomach a day at the range working up a load that works you'll be really happy with your rifle. If you try to cut corners you might end up disappointed due to these specific rifles being designed around BH209 and Powerbelts...

The reports of QC issues with the Accuras and Powerbelts should be ironed out by now.

You should be able to find the powerbelts online, and many users report that they do shoot well if you can work up a load. The sizing die is really easy if you have a press already.

I would just source bh209 and a couple packs of powerbelts to see if you can find a load that shoots as the easiest path forward since that was what your rifle was designed for.

I impulsively bought my LR-X like you but went ahead and went all in on components to make it shoot 1 MOA. If you can stomach a day at the range working up a load that works you'll be really happy with your rifle. If you try to cut corners you might end up disappointed due to these specific rifles being designed around BH209 and Powerbelts...

The reports of QC issues with the Accuras and Powerbelts should be ironed out by now.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Update:
I got everything in, finding those primers was not easy! I put a scope I had laying around on it and got to the range today. I’m sure I could dial it in more but as of now it’s shooting around 2in at 100 yards, 105 by volume of bh209 and 285g power belts. Should do the trick for my purposes. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
2AFCABD9-9565-4AFE-B815-F15A9A5A85EE.jpeg

dtchhuntr

FNG
Best of luck. I love my CVA Accura V2 LR. I use Blackhorn 209 with their breech plug. I have always shied away from powerbelts myself, but clearly many people use them without issue. I like that camo on the gun.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Best of luck. I love my CVA Accura V2 LR. I use Blackhorn 209 with their breech plug. I have always shied away from powerbelts myself, but clearly many people use them without issue. I like that camo on the gun.
Powerbelts weren’t my first or second choice, they were just all I could find in stock anywhere. Hopefully they will do the trick.