BTX users insights?

wyosteve

WKR
Currently have the STX/95 set up and am contemplating also getting the BTX eyepiece. Have done a search, but am wondering for those of you who use or have used a BTX, what are the benefits, if any, over just the single eyepiece? Also any cons outside of the weight? Just general insights would help as well. I do have some 12x42 NL's to use along with the spotter. Thanks in advance.

AZxp

FNG
Wouldn't be without my btx. For picking apart huge country, it does things that 12s or 15s just cannot. The comfort of having both eyes open let's me spend more quality time judging animals.
And if you ever hunt coues deer, it's invaluable.
95mm is the sweet spot for the btx imo

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Downsides are no zoom, tough to digiscope with, and not as bright as a single eye piece BUT they are an awesome tool and worth dealing with the the downsides.

Sadler

WKR
The dual eyepiece is the biggest plus for me. Makes it easy to sit behind all day if need be. I couldnt do that with a regular spotter. And if you’re glassing big country, it’s hard to beat.

Downside is it’s big, takes up a lot of space in the pack, and it doesn’t zoom. I rarely feel I need to zoom in but I’m smaller country, zooming out would be a great feature. If they could somehow make a BTX with a variable eyepiece, I don’t think they would be able to keep them on the shelf.

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks much. That helps a lot. I wouldn't be packing it on my back. Either truck or horse. Have another aoudad hunt coming up and felt 'under glassed' last time so sounds like a BTX could work well in that scenario. Plus I haven't bought any 'toys' in a few months!!

GlassSnob

FNG
Just finished a quick scouting trip in southern AZ for Coues. I have the 12x42 NLs and BTX w/95mm, so exactly what you're talking about. After that trip and much discussion with my hunting buddy I decided to sell my BTX (waiting to Post on Rokslide but need 10 posts). I understand why some think it's a perfect weapon in open country out West, but IMO then 12x42 NLs are SO good you might be disappointed like I was. The sharpness, brightness, depth of field and ease of operation is just not there for me. My buddy who is a glass snob like me was so excited to look through them and came away disappointed like me. If you want to chat about it further from someone who glasses a TON out west let me know. -Luke