Browning X-Bolt HC speed vs. weatherby Vanguard

I'm in the market for a new rifle, and I narrowed it down to the Browning x bolt hells canyon speed or a. Weatherby vanguard, more than likely the first light edition. I have held the browning and absolutely love it, I've never held a weatherby but I've read nothing but good things about them. I know there are other options out there. If you have them let me know, but I absolutely want a three position safety or bolt that you can lock in place so that while walking it doesn't pop open.

IDLassie

FNG
I have a .270 vanguard over 40 years old. I don't shoot it any longer. Heavy and usually beats the crap out of me. I have a 6,5 CM in the Hells Canyon x bolt and love it. It has the muzzle break which helps the recoil. Just need to cut the stock down about an inch and it would fit me like a dream.
I'd go with the Browning.

sndmn11

WKR
We have four vanguards an xbolt and a tikka.

If I were buying a vanguard I'd buy the cheapest I could find because they are all the same just with different colors other than I believe the Camilla wilderness has a BC stock. The version I hunt with is the discontinued wilderness that has a very thin fluted barrel. We also have a wood stocked Camilla, a youth, and they did a run of cerakoted weather guards for some shops that were sold for $400. Two now wear a stockys vertical, the weatherguard has the BC wilderness stock, and I pillar bedded the Camilla. All are 6.5-6.75lbs. The factory vanguard stocks are crap and it makes me sad to see a markup on different colors or camo from them.

The x bolt we have is a fancy cold engraved banquet rifle that we cracked fancy wood stock around the top of the action inlet. It was replaced with a speed take off stock and shoots fine. I don't think there is anything special with the stock on the hells canyon version, at least the stock we have. If it were me I'd buy the cheapest xbolt, shoot it, and if I didn't like the stock I'd put it in a McMillan https://mcmillanusa.com/product-category/retail-hunting/?Tags=browning-x-bolt

I like the safety position of the xbolt better, but I've never once had an issue with the vanguards.

The wilderness I had was a DBM and I didn't like that the bottom metal was plastic; I broke one and they replaced it. I ended up buying a floor plate for it. The x bolt magazines seem fine.

There's far more aftermarket stuff for a vanguard. Stocks, chassis, triggers (we put timneys in) prefit barrels etc.

Two of our vanguards are 6.5creed and they only shoot a few bullets well of 20+ that I tried. They were also manufactured around the same time. The 30-06 and 7-08 we have shoot anything well. I would not buy a 6.5creed again, or I would get emailed instructions from Weatherby ahead of time about how to test for accuracy etc for warranty purposes and do that immediately.

The xbolt has a 60degree bolt.

If it were me, I'd try to scrounge up a new old stock vanguard wilderness. Otherwise, I'd buy the cheapest version of either and know that I might throw on a new stock after shooting.

OP
Dbornhorstjr
We have four vanguards an xbolt and a tikka.

If I were buying a vanguard I'd buy the cheapest I could find because they are all the same just with different colors other than I believe the Camilla wilderness has a BC stock. The version I hunt with is the discontinued wilderness that has a very thin fluted barrel. We also have a wood stocked Camilla, a youth, and they did a run of cerakoted weather guards for some shops that were sold for $400. Two now wear a stockys vertical, the weatherguard has the BC wilderness stock, and I pillar bedded the Camilla. All are 6.5-6.75lbs. The factory vanguard stocks are crap and it makes me sad to see a markup on different colors or camo from them.

The x bolt we have is a fancy cold engraved banquet rifle that we cracked fancy wood stock around the top of the action inlet. It was replaced with a speed take off stock and shoots fine. I don't think there is anything special with the stock on the hells canyon version, at least the stock we have. If it were me I'd buy the cheapest xbolt, shoot it, and if I didn't like the stock I'd put it in a McMillan https://mcmillanusa.com/product-category/retail-hunting/?Tags=browning-x-bolt

I like the safety position of the xbolt better, but I've never once had an issue with the vanguards.

The wilderness I had was a DBM and I didn't like that the bottom metal was plastic; I broke one and they replaced it. I ended up buying a floor plate for it. The x bolt magazines seem fine.

There's far more aftermarket stuff for a vanguard. Stocks, chassis, triggers (we put timneys in) prefit barrels etc.

Two of our vanguards are 6.5creed and they only shoot a few bullets well of 20+ that I tried. They were also manufactured around the same time. The 30-06 and 7-08 we have shoot anything well. I would not buy a 6.5creed again, or I would get emailed instructions from Weatherby ahead of time about how to test for accuracy etc for warranty purposes and do that immediately.

The xbolt has a 60degree bolt.

If it were me, I'd try to scrounge up a new old stock vanguard wilderness. Otherwise, I'd buy the cheapest version of either and know that I might throw on a new stock after shooting.
Would you then suggest the Browning AB3 as its less and upgrade from there?

sndmn11

WKR
Would you then suggest the Browning AB3 as its less and upgrade from there?
No clue, I have never held or shot one nor do I have any idea if they have the same safety type/location and locking bolt feature. I also don't think that it has stocks available like an xbolt does.

If I were buying, (you didn't mention cartridge)

If you want to make things go fast and you reload

Not light at all

I can't really find an xBolt cheaper

OP
Dbornhorstjr
I have a .270 vanguard over 40 years old. I don't shoot it any longer. Heavy and usually beats the crap out of me. I have a 6,5 CM in the Hells Canyon x bolt and love it. It has the muzzle break which helps the recoil. Just need to cut the stock down about an inch and it would fit me like a dream.
I'd go with the Browning.
That's the one I'm looking into, the 6.5 Hells canyon Speed
No clue, I have never held or shot one nor do I have any idea if they have the same safety type/location and locking bolt feature. I also don't think that it has stocks available like an xbolt does.

If I were buying, (you didn't mention cartridge)

If you want to make things go fast and you reload

Not light at all

I can't really find an xBolt cheaper
Thanks for the info. I'm torn between the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 6.5 PRC I have a Creedmoor already, and love the ammo availability.

I'm a big fan of the browning xbolt. I like the short 60 degree bolt throw and the two position tang safety with the bolt unlock button on the bolt.
If you held one and love the way it feels and it fits you well, you can't go wrong with the xbolt. Probably my favorite rifle in my collection.
A buddy of mine has a Vanguard and it's nice but he's done a lot of upgrades to it. If you go that route I'd do like someone else mentioned and get the cheapest one you can find and put a nicer stock on it. For that matter get the cheapest howa(same as Vanguard) you can find and put a b&c stock on it.
Tikka's are nice as well if you haven't looked at those yet.

sndmn11

WKR
For that matter get the cheapest howa(same as Vanguard) you can find and put a b&c stock on it.
Brilliant!

Kurts86

WKR
The X-Bolt is probably going to end up being nearly 1 lb lighter than the vanguard in a similar configuration. Those Howa 1500 actions are pretty heavy and Xbolts are going to be on the lighter end of hunting rifles. They are just a bit heavier than a Tikka.

I think the xbolt is a nearly perfect hunting rifle. They have a modern spec, short bolt throw, locking bolt and a detachable magazine system that is quite reliable. The Hells Canyon Speed is the peak of the xbolt value curve. The gains on the top end xbolts are there but marginal for the extra $1k you pay to step up to a mountain pro or McMillian.

I’ve run an Xbolt mountain Pro the last year in 6.5 Creedmoor and I love it hunting. It’s not a range rifle and the factory trigger isn’t a Triggertech but it’s a great hunting gun.

The vanguard does have a larger aftermarket than the browning but the beauty of the xbolt is that needs very little changed. The vanguard does have a hinged floor plate as well if that is something you care about.

Unckebob

WKR
I'm in the market for a new rifle, and I narrowed it down to the Browning x bolt hells canyon speed or a. Weatherby vanguard, more than likely the first light edition. I have held the browning and absolutely love it, I've never held a weatherby but I've read nothing but good things about them. I know there are other options out there. If you have them let me know, but I absolutely want a three position safety or bolt that you can lock in place so that while walking it doesn't pop open.

I was my understanding that the Vanguards are dressed up Howa 1500 actions. I would get the Browning.

I was in a similar position few years looking for my son's first rifle. We wanted something with a locking bolt too.

We ended up getting the HC speed. To us it was in a class above the vanguard and howa. The rifle does not disappoint.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Pdzoller

WKR
I own a Vanguard and have shot the Browning. The Vanguard doesn’t compare unless you put a new stock on it. Not even in the same class honestly.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Once you upgrade the vanguard with a decent stock you’re at the same price as the browning. I love my vanguard but after 10years finally got a new stock on it and looking at a new barrel.

Good luck with the browning!