Bring ATV for SE MT mule deer hunt?

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I am headed to SE MT with a general deer tag this year. I called the Region 7 office about this and got pushed through to vm a couple times so thats why I am here. Would you bring an atv with you? Hunting BLM/Public land the whole time. Is it even legal to ride the two track on BLM? What about the gravel/dirt roads?

My thought is that its very easy to bring an atv with me (coming from Iowa). If for example I got stuck or stranded or it got too sloppy I could always pull out the atv and use it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mt Al

WKR
If it's easy, why not? Might get you out of a jamb like you mentioned.

I've hunted in Eastern MT for 30+ years, have never owned a 4 wheeler or ATV and personally have never felt like I was missing something. Every road I've wanted to drive down was open to trucks as well as ATVs, but there may be roads I'm unaware of where you can't take a truck but can take an ATV. Lots of people from Montana and out of state bring ATVs and 4 wheelers to Eastner MT on trailers and in their truck beds - thousands of them - so honestly maybe I'm missing something.

No matter what, post pics of whatever you put a tag on!

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
No, you don't need an ATV in region 7. The road system is fine there. If you can't drive your truck to a certain spot, you can walk. Terrain is easy in most places.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I will definitely post some pics/details of trip. I am taking out a newbie who wants to get in to big game hunting (he has hunted other species with me) and a guy on his second trip out west.

I admittedly also want to take the atv to justify my spend on it! got to tell the wife I have the toys for a reason

jmez

WKR
Will need to be licensed if you are driving on county roads.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Do you need it? no. maybe nice with two guys to be able to go different directions some days. But IMO in that area there is no advantage gained by a wheeler.

Leave the ATV at home… You can drive your Truck on the established trails…. You will be alot more comfortable in the cab of the truck given it might be 80 degrees or 20 degrees outside…. Instead of spending time loading and unloading the ATV you can be traveling from glassing area to glassing area…

leave it at home, been hunting Montana over 20 years and not once did i say "wish we had a 4-wheeler". Plus if you get some snow melt or rain, some of the roads turn to gumbo and having a trailer just make it a headache. But hey whatever floats your boat. If you do end up bringing it on a trailer make sure your trailer tires are at least 6-8 ply and bring multiple spares. The scoria rock on some of the roads will eat up tires

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I think I will be leaving the ATV at home and just putting on some new tires. Got about 5k left on my nitto ridge grapplers

GoBig

FNG
I take mine to Eastern Montana, some years its frozen and never gets unloaded, some years its the only way to get farther out on the road systems due to the mud, but its not fun on the muddy roads with it. Hope for cold weather, makes everything better.