Breathable wind layer for hiking

Cargyle13

FNG
Anyone used the black ovis wind hoodie? Or even just their rain gear. I know not as breathable but always have the rain gear so why carry extra weight

Zpacks wind shirt over a peloton 97 is a great combo while backpacking or hunting but I would not bushwhack in it. I have also heard great things about the Enlightened Equipment Copperfield wind shirt. EE right now has 20% off all stock merch.

schmalzy

WKR
Backcountry has the BD Alpine start on sale right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been wearing the Hill People Gear Windcheater. Great pocket layout if wearing a pack. Good durability even going through brush. Good breathability

Bazookas

FNG
Anyone used the black ovis wind hoodie? Or even just their rain gear. I know not as breathable but always have the rain gear so why carry extra weight
I’ve got the Black Ovis Specter wind hoody. Wear it regularly to cut the wind and it does a great job of it. Reasonably lightweight. Planning a hike in CO in a few weeks, so I can try and see how breathable it is.

ledflight

WKR
Mountain Hardwear Kor Airshell. The Pertex Quantum Air provides enough breathability (~20 CFM) for active use. It's super lightweight and packable. Also the fabric doesn't really stick to your skin and get clammy. Can be found on sale a lot too
Does this vest have any kind of shine on it or would it be ok for the woods in their neutral color? thanks

P Carter

WKR
Does this vest have any kind of shine on it or would it be ok for the woods in their neutral color? thanks
I have the mountain hardwear kor preshell wind jacket in the camo color, and it's great. Quiet, no shine, breathable, affordable. Wore it archery hunting last year with no issues. I *believe* the airshell is the updated preshell. (That's why I was able to grab the preshell for like 60 bucks.) I can't guarantee what the airshell is like.

EdP

WKR
I have found nothing better than a button up wool shirt for hiking in the mtns. Mine came from Cabelas several years ago but I don't see them offered now. Not ultralight or particularly packable but durable, warm, breathable and cuts enough wind when hiking.

Reactions: RCB

ledflight

WKR
I have the mountain hardwear kor preshell wind jacket in the camo color, and it's great. Quiet, no shine, breathable, affordable. Wore it archery hunting last year with no issues. I *believe* the airshell is the updated preshell. (That's why I was able to grab the preshell for like 60 bucks.) I can't guarantee what the airshell is like.
OK, thanks, they're on clearance + Laborday sale at REI so I'll give one a shot. I have been thinking that a packable wind vest would be very useful.

I own a couple of Houdini's but find them a little lacking in the durability category; not a surprise as they weigh all of 4 oz.

For hunting I've found two that I thought were suitable, the BD Alpine Start mentioned a couple of times above and the hard to find Patagonia military windshirt. Can still find them occasionally on eBay.

I purchased a Sitka Flash a couple of years ago and found it not to breathe well. Was going to sell it, but discovered it made a nice lightweight rain jacket when not expecting day long rain.

The one thing to remember about a windshirt is they are designed to breathe some, as such they will let some wind in when it's blowing hard. If you're static (say glassing) and it's really windy- don a rain jacket.
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm checking in to see if you have any other new favorite wind shirts? Specifically curious if the kifaru or the new sitka wind shirt (don't remember the name) is a better mouse trap? My uses will be backpack sheep hunting in AK.

Another vote for the Mountain Hardware Kor Airshell. Got one on clearance for ~$50 and it’s awesome at cutting the wind and trapping warmth. Weighs nothing and it stays in my pack lid when not wearing it. Packs down to the size of a large apple.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm checking in to see if you have any other new favorite wind shirts? Specifically curious if the kifaru or the new sitka wind shirt (don't remember the name) is a better mouse trap? My uses will be backpack sheep hunting in AK.

I used the Sitka Evo on my sheep hunt- at least part of the day, every single day.

I think I would categorize it as a little more soft-shell vs windshirt. The majority of the fabric is Gore Windstopper which is highly wind resistant, much more than most windshirts. The trade off is it doesn't breathe as well as most windshirts and it's heavier than most windshirts.

However it has light grid fleece that runs under the arms which helps on the breathability end, as well as grid fleece on the back (basically where your pack is covering your back). Under high exertion it still isn't as breathable as most windhsirts, but it blocks wind better and is nearly waterproof. I've had it out in light precip for hours and my base layer underneath remained dry; not a substitute for a rain jacket for sure, but it covers a pretty wide array of climatic conditions.

While it weighs more than most windshirts, it's lighter than almost any other soft-shell at 13 oz.

The fabric is also a lot tougher than any windshirt (I busted a lot of thick brush in the drainages we hunted up before moving higher).

On a lot of my day hunts in the mountains I'll carry the Kifaru windshirt if the forecast looks dry, at 4 oz and the a little bigger than a deck of cards- it easily carries it's weight.

For a longer backpacking trip with weather that could be all over the map, I'd carry the extra weight and bring the Evo.

I used the Sitka Evo on my sheep hunt- at least part of the day, every single day.

I think I would categorize it as a little more soft-shell vs windshirt. The majority of the fabric is Gore Windstopper which is highly wind resistant, much more than most windshirts. The trade off is it doesn't breathe as well as most windshirts and it's heavier than most windshirts.

However it has light grid fleece that runs under the arms which helps on the breathability end, as well as grid fleece on the back (basically where your pack is covering your back). Under high exertion it still isn't as breathable as most windhsirts, but it blocks wind better and is nearly waterproof. I've had it out in light precip for hours and my base layer underneath remained dry; not a substitute for a rain jacket for sure, but it covers a pretty wide array of climatic conditions.

While it weighs more than most windshirts, it's lighter than almost any other soft-shell at 13 oz.

The fabric is also a lot tougher than any windshirt (I busted a lot of thick brush in the drainages we hunted up before moving higher).

On a lot of my day hunts in the mountains I'll carry the Kifaru windshirt if the forecast looks dry, at 4 oz and the a little bigger than a deck of cards- it easily carries it's weight.

For a longer backpacking trip with weather that could be all over the map, I'd carry the extra weight and bring the Evo.
Thank you for your thought out response. Did your evo replace any layers on your hunt?

I guess what I’m asking is could I leave a (or only) mid layer behind behind in lieu of the evo? I believe that’s the only way I could stomach the weight discrepancy.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for your thought out response. Did your evo replace any layers on your hunt?

I guess what I’m asking is could I leave a (or only) mid layer behind behind in lieu of the evo? I believe that’s the only way I could stomach the weight discrepancy.

I brought a mid-layer too. Probably wore it less than if I wouldn't have had the Evo, but still wore it enough I'd still bring it.

I would always bring a windshirt (pre Evo) and if the weather forecast was good, would probably still.

My Alpine Start is ~ 8 oz, the Evo 14 ounces- for me, I've found the 6 oz hit worth it when weather is questionable.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
The Black Ovis Specter has been great for me. DWR treated and lightweight/packable.

I brought a mid-layer too. Probably wore it less than if I wouldn't have had the Evo, but still wore it enough I'd still bring it.

I would always bring a windshirt (pre Evo) and if the weather forecast was good, would probably still.

My Alpine Start is ~ 8 oz, the Evo 14 ounces- for me, I've found the 6 oz hit worth it when weather is questionable.
Awesome. Thanks again!

Don’t listen to this guy. I think he is a plant from Sitka that has been put here to get me to spend money.

mcseal2

WKR
FL ridgeline has worked pretty well for me. It can layer over a merino base or base plus fleece when hiking if needed. When I stop I put it over my Superdown Pro jacket to block wind and protect it from tears. Not to heavy and very versatile.

Don’t listen to this guy. I think he is a plant from Sitka that has been put here to get me to spend money.
On a slightly more helpful note, I have used a few pieces in that role. I wou”d note, that I am a sweat hog and preference breathability over weather resistance when conditions favor a wind shirt or light soft shell.

- old school siTka windshirt pullover: Gore wind stopper and no taped seems. Great piece to stash in you pack. Breathable with a little stretch. Hood. Kind of what the mountain jacket should have been before.

- old school Sitka mountain jacket - cool piece. Needed a hood. A great active layer when you have just enough wind or precipitation to be annoying but not wear something heavier as an out layer.

- OR ferrosi - awesome. Somewhere between a soft shell and a windshirt. Fantastic stretch. Great breathability. Super comfortable. Like the kuiu attack pant of tops. Just the right balance of breath weather resistance. You are gonna want to pull it off in blazing heat and sun and layer it up in a serious downpour, but in mildly cold conditions and while you are active, it will handle everything in between. It is hands down my favorite piece for backpacking in cooler weather and I have taken it on a few hunts as well. Outdoor gear lab has a great write up and it is fairly cheap. $150 list and under $100 on sale.

- new Sitka Evo mountain: This just arrived, like literally yesterday. Another instance of me drinking the @mtwarden koolaid and spending money on Sitka gear. I haven’t used it yet but preliminary inspection is promising and the Sitka guys put out some great gear. I like the hybrid construction and expect it will breathe even better than the ferrosi. I am a little suspect of the open back panel but I wear a pack more than I don’t while hunting so it is probably going to be a positive. This could challenge for the crown as my backpacking top as well but I need to put some miles on it. FWIW they must have made too many of these. MSRP of $330 but they are on sale for $260 most places and scheels has the black version for $150.