Breathable snake gaiters

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
After a close rattler encounter, I too am looking for recommendations on snake gaiters. @mtwarden I know you do a lot of off-trail hiking...do you use them at all?

Thankfully no rattlers to worry about here :)

Sounds like a pretty tall order though- something with enough fabric to stop a snake bite, but breathe at the same time

brentr9

FNG
+1 for Turtleskins. We’ve been wearing them for a few years. I haven’t personally been struck but have heard first hand reports from non-salesman. We add a loop of shock cord at the bottom to keep them I place

ArmyAg97

FNG
Another for Turtleskins - but I wouldn't describe them as breathable, but better than any other option I've found.

I have talked to friends that were hit with rattlesnakes in both Turtlekins and Listos. I've also taken needles and pushed them through both to test for myself since I own both brands. I found it takes the same amount of pressure to poke one through both. A snake is not getting through either one. I wouldn't read too much into a legal disclaimer - a small company would be stupid not to put a disclaimer on a product like this these days. I don't think Tutrtleskins guarantee snakeproof 100% of the time either. Like the Listos, they say they've been tested using live rattlesnakes. Look at the Listo website - they have videos of live snakes too. I can say that I've personally walked through thousands of different cactus in my Listos and never once had a thorn punch through. I have zero worries about snakes wearing them.