Brass?

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I started reloading as a kid about 25 years ago pre internet. Back then we used whatever brass we could find often loading and testing with all different types interchanged. Now that I’m getting back into it, it appears that brass brand and quality is a lot bigger issue. I still have tons of mismatched brass, Is it worth using? Setting up to load .270, .243, .300wm .308.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
I would use them. No reason to let them go to waist. I’m not an expert and probably a novice at best. Separate the brands and load them the same. See if you can tell any difference.

I wouldn’t necessarily describe it as an issue. It depends on what you are after. I think people who are looking to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of a load because they shoot long range or just get off on it, are very particular about their brass. I’m kinda in between. I just want good hunting ammo but do strive for 1 MOA accuracy. A lot of effort and time can go into decreasing MOA by .25 inches. It can be fun to try but is it necessay? Depends on what you are doing with your shooting.

I would use it if it doesn’t have too many firings on it. Or anneal if it does. But would at least sort it by head stamp. It takes little effort and case volumes differ enough to make a difference. And if you loading on the edge of max, case volume should be considered.

I have 100’s of hand me down cases from my Dad. At the price and availability of brass currently, that is what I’m using. It meets my needs.

I started reloading as a kid about 25 years ago pre internet. Back then we used whatever brass we could find often loading and testing with all different types interchanged. Now that I’m getting back into it, it appears that brass brand and quality is a lot bigger issue. I still have tons of mismatched brass, Is it worth using? Setting up to load .270, .243, .300wm .308.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like mentioned it’s up to you.

If chasing 1” groups or 0.1” groups your technique will be very different.

If you have the option for all identical brass it’s one less variable to get a more consistent load.

I will use mismatched brass for many things- cold bore fouling shots are one, testing chrono setup is another. Letting others try a rifle, plinking etc

If using specialty bullets and brass everything adds up $$ fast. So a cheap load will serve a purpose

With the way things are now on supply and demand, use it just seperate by brand. The cost factor for new brass is out of this world and the availability is even worse for some cals. inspect and anneal if un-know how many firings are on the used brass, then load and shoot. If punching paper for me it really does not matter if I use fired brass. My limit for targets is 600 yards ( on 8 in. steel plates ) hunting 400 and under, 1/2 M.O.A. is my goal and I can get that new or used brass in hunting distances, Now on the other hand if hunting I work loads for accuracy using new brass, but to be honest about it the accuracy efforts between new and used brass is minimal for me.

SDHNTR

WKR
I will not use mixed headstamps and the same load! Pressure can change dramatically. I have a rifle that when I switched brass on I had to reduce the powder charge by 1.5 gr to keep the same velocity. If I just loaded that new brass with the same load I used in the previous brass I would have been dangerously over pressure. Bad idea! Use your brass, but sort your headstamps, and start low and work up when you change. That’s the only safe and intelligent way to approach the issue.

I used to use mixed brass but found my consistency and accuracy increased noticeably when I used the same brass, same lot numbers are even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

49ereric

WKR
Remington brass was always the best groups for me in the .308 win and 22.250 but in the woods I don’t shoot far so I no longer worry about it with the .308 or the 06.