Brass Sorting Question

So I know there can be big differences between manufacturers (I.e. Lapua vs Hornady vs PPU), so not to mix and match. But has anyone found a noticeable difference within the same manufacturer from lot to lot, year to year etc? For example, Lake City brass is stamped with the manufacturer, NATO marking, and year of manufacture. Is it worth the time and effort sorting my LC brass by year?

I’m still very much learning myself but give a listen to the most recent Hornady reloading podcast. Long story short in their high shot count tests, shorting brass didn’t make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A382DWDZQ

WKR
For my LC ‘06 brass, I sort it out by headstamp. Whether you need to go by weight after that depends on what distance and accuracy you’re after.

I’m still very much learning myself but give a listen to the most recent Hornady reloading podcast. Long story short in their high shot count tests, shorting brass didn’t make a difference

On that podcast they indicated that they don't think the juice is worth the squeeze to sort brass from the same lot. The one dude said he has some mixed lots that are fine though.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
When I was selling Bertram brass, which has terrible QC, I tested 300 Ultra brass, which had up to eight grains in overall weight difference over twenty pieces. I didn't see any noticeable difference in ES or group size. IMO, weight sorting is a waste of time for hunting. The interesting part is that when I tested the H2O volume, they were almost identical—crazy. The lot-to-lot change would have to be huge to make a difference.