Brands you just couldn’t make work

I had issues with the exo shoulder straps not being big enough, tried for a long time to adjust different ways but still ended up in the same place. Switched to a Kifaru and have been very happy ever since
I found the exact opposite. Kifaru never worked for me, exo has been great!

bpeay4

FNG
Was really excited about my new Mystery ranch Beartooth 80 but so far I am not sold. The heaviest pack out I've done with it was maybe 75lbs and after a few miles I was wanting to take it off.

I will probably continue to adjust it and try to find a comfortable fit but it's not looking good for those heavy packouts.

Anybody else have issues with MR able to find a solution to the fit???

I really wanted to figure out how to keep my Kifaru from slipping and gave it a good effort for over a year and just couldn’t make it work for me.
Peax headlamp broke after two uses.

TxLite

WKR
Mystery Ranch sawtooth 45. Went from a cabelas 4800 pack to the MR thinking the MR would be a major step up. Bag quality was fine, and when it was empty it fit great. As soon as I put 50lb+ in it, the shoulder straps started digging in. Not sure if they were too narrow for me or what but I could not get that pack to fit comfortably with weight. Got a great deal on it so not too upset, but snagged a SG solo 3600 xcurve from scheel’s recent sale and it is night and day how much better it fits me. The MR has now become my wife’s pack

jbs121s

FNG
I wanted to love my Kifaru E&E but the small bag didn't set on my back right. The larger bags work fine.

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Man, this thread is making me realize how much difference there is between pack users. I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling to get a good pack fit. I've hiked with 5 packs this year, and surprisingly, the Kuiu Pro LT has been the most comfortable so far. That said, the only pack that wouldn't work for me was my old Jansport Rockies 100L, that thing was painful no matter what I did.

I am just like a lot of the others with the MR backpack. I have the sawtooth and love the pack under 50 lbs. Over 50 lbs is not fun. It slips a lot. My 2 cents is the padding is too soft for heavy loads. Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't heard of many liking it with a heavy load.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I will never understand people liking kenetrek boots for hunting. If I had to choose between them and flip flops, I’d probably be packing my next bull in flip flops, at least they are light when I say screw it and go bare foot

I love my Kenetrek boots. 🤷🏼‍♂️

@Sand Wrench, yeah it is fun to read these threads....

Eberlestock just sucks IMO. Ive had the J34 and an X2( I actually traded the x2 straight across for the J34 I hated it so much.) Used the X2 one season and it took a week for my shoulders to recover. I still have it but my kid uses it for a daypack. Way too short for a longer torso'd person.

I replaced that x2 with one of the original KUIU Icons with the 1800 CI bag. Way too small even though it was about the size of the x2. I bought it because it was light. Picked up a 5200 CI bag for it and it was much better but still not that good. Thankfully (I think) I broke a stay a few years ago and they replaced it with a brand new ICON PRO 6000 (Great CS btw). That pack is light years better than the original Icon. Had it not worked, I'd be looking elsewhere. I tried on some Kifaru stuff at TAC this year and it fit great but man it is $$$lol. Trying to find an excuse to buy some of it.

Other than packs, Ive had pretty good luck with gear for the most part.

I love my Kenetrek boots. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Many do, I can’t stand them. I have always preferred a lighter soft boot… there are a couple moderately stiff boots I can tolerate, but mostly I like a flexible boot… current favorites are salathe gtx and trail lite evo gtx, both are excellent all around boots for me and cover all conditions for me

The stiffest boot I like is the asolo hunter gv, which are nothing like kenetreks

cck

FNG
Was really excited about my new Mystery ranch Beartooth 80 but so far I am not sold. The heaviest pack out I've done with it was maybe 75lbs and after a few miles I was wanting to take it off.

I will probably continue to adjust it and try to find a comfortable fit but it's not looking good for those heavy packouts.

Anybody else have issues with MR able to find a solution to the fit???
I had the exact same problem. Hip belt was horrible, didn’t feel like it carried the weight well, put a lot of weight places other than the hips. Finally sold it and bought a kifaru. Best decision I could’ve made

bozeman

WKR
kifaru and firstlite.........tried 2 diff frames and 3 diff setups, just not comfy. Firstlite fit me like a box....very uncomfortable. I have used Sitka since early on and it has fit true to size with the exception of a HW hoody I bought.....it fit like 2 sizes too big (gave to my dad).