Brands you just couldn’t make work

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Without turning this into a brand-bashing thread, what are some packs that you just can’t get to work for you? For me, it was Hill People Gear and Stone Glacier.

I live in town where the HPG store is and got fitted for one of their packs. Put weight in it, tried to make it work. I’m not going to diss on their design because I know for a fact it works well for a lot of people. But I couldn’t get it to where it wasn’t putting a lot of pressure on my lower back, and neither could the HPG guys. It’s a shame because I like their bags a lot.

The Stone Glacier pack I tried felt pretty good under a very heavy load but I hated it under a moderate load. I’ve found other packs that I think handle both types of loads better - but I haven’t tried their newer xcurve frame. Also a shame, because they also make great bags.

What highly regarded packs have you found underwhelming for you?

SLM

FNG
As much as I and Kifaru tried, it just never was good for me which was a bummer. Exo K3 is ok, but I get a little belt slippage. SG X-Curve fits like a glove.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Kifaru.

I also tried an EXO and ended up sending it back as well. I'm still using an original SG frame with a one-piece belt and that works very well for me. But I also wear my packs higher than most do, and I lock the belt in above my hips. The load can't slip or drop at all. I hate lumbar pads.

Kifaru. And I took enough bashing over it that I tried to make them work on two separate occasions including a store visit. Product and people are fantastic, but the system just didn't work for my body.

SG x-curve fits and feels fantastic on me. Exo also works well I just feel like SGs 5900 bag is about perfect.

I've never really had bad luck with any of the high end hunting brands that I've tried. I have never been able to get Osprey packs to fit, though. Luckily I've moved past Osprey in my gear-buying journey.

Nimrod for me. Just too much going on. Good pack and better pack frame but I could get it to work.

Ten Bears

WKR
SG on multiple frames.
Seek Outside custom pack.
Kifaru just fit my body better.
Gonna try the new Exo when it comes out, hopefully I won’t regret selling my Kifaru again.

I drank the gritty bowman koolaid and idolize snyder so much, that I set my longtime love affair with Dana designs / MR aside and dropped some $$$ on kifaru packs. 3 packs. 2 frames. Really wanted them to work. In fairness, I have some muscle in the upper back that Give me a bit of a rounded profile. I ordered but never bent / fitted a set of aluminum stays to really “tune” the fit To my back profile. In the middle of trying to figure it out, I happened on a smoking deal on an MR metcalf. It fit like a dream, sold the Kifarus on down the road and I have been drinking MR koolaid ever since.

Mojave

WKR
Kennetrek boots didn’t work For my foot shape.

Filson over hyped quality that didn’t fit.

Almost every European hunting clothing companies pants. I don’t like the cut.

First Lite sewing quality was not great.

Vortex quality issues in Chinese products.

TheHammer

WKR
I drank the gritty bowman koolaid and idolize snyder so much, that I set my longtime love affair with Dana designs / MR aside and dropped some $$$ on kifaru packs. 3 packs. 2 frames. Really wanted them to work. In fairness, I have some muscle in the upper back that Give me a bit of a rounded profile. I ordered but never bent / fitted a set of aluminum stays to really “tune” the fit To my back profile. In the middle of trying to figure it out, I happened on a smoking deal on an MR metcalf. It fit like a dream, sold the Kifarus on down the road and I have been drinking MR koolaid ever since.
And now it’s initial accent, I’ve found the mr to fit me the best as well. The biggest gripe I have from mr stuff is it’s to flat to* the back, not circulating air on those hot September days. Other then that they performed great for me. Glad I’m not alone.

The packs that didn’t work for me were kuiu… really despise that pack, the newer ones are better, but far from good for me.

Mystery ranch guide lite, I like the pop up better if packing heavy weight, the guide lite was a disappointment for me.

Seek outside, but I’m not convinced that is my final verdict, there is so much adjustment in their frame I want to try again, with an integrated system.

My 2 main packs right now is a k2 with a k3 belt, and a duplex lite, both are excellent with a heavy load, or light, and the kifaru is my favorite when it comes to maxing out my ability on weight, but not by much, and the exo is just comfortable.

I have decided to get rid of my kifaru and get a k4 as soon as possible and plan on pretty much going to one pack for everything, I’m confident I’ll like the k4 enough to be happy with it, and if not, I will use my k2 until I decide my next pack, but I seriously doubt that will be the case.

I really appreciate exo as a company too, and want to support them if possible.

If the pop up had more compression options, I would probably go back to it for roosie hunting, but as it is, it’s not always straightforward to get a load balanced well with their compression, needs loops to add straps for packing meat… besides that, it’s a super capable little pack that is nice in the brush… now it’s my steelhead pack

SG didn’t work out for me, the X-curve frame was too tall and I like my pack to sit higher to begin with. I had a hard time looking up as I am climbing so I gave it to a friend who extremely tall. I will continue to use my MR pack.

SwiftShot

WKR
Kuiu attack pants. They just dont fit me right. Waist was right but the leg fit was rough.

I still can't get my exo or kifaru to be comfy under moderate load or not slip.

It may be because I don't have them properly fitted right. I'm still trying with both

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk