Brain/Spinal Tissue Transport

Being lazy and asking for answers rather than researching it myself, so hoping you guys can help me out.

I know a lot of states don't want you to transport brain or spinal tissue from deer from state to state, but I'm curious if other species are included in that as well - elk, antelope, moose, etc..

Also, how clean do clean the skull? This past fall we scrambled the brains out and then boiled the skulls for about 15-20 mins before we left Montana just to make sure we were safe, but unsure how strict the check stations/COs are...

isu22andy

WKR
We never saw a check station in MT did you ? We just skull capped all our deer and scooped them out with a knife- thought about boiling them for euros but decided against it.

OP
cornfedkiller
We never saw a check station in MT did you ? We just skull capped all our deer and scooped them out with a knife- thought about boiling them for euros but decided against it.

We didn't see a check station this year, but did last year.

We were planning on doing euro mounts, so we didn't want to cap them.

I was more curious with this thread if its required for all big game animals, or just deer.

Brendan

WKR
Will be different by state, you'd ne d to check every one you drive through. Checked my home state regs - all cervids. That would include all Moose, Elk, deer, but not Antelope, but I'd bet there are states that include them in a ban.

OP
cornfedkiller
I just looked up the Iowa regs, and it states that if a deer, elk, moose, or caribou comes from a CWD endemic area:
you may bring back only the boned out meat, skin (cape) and antlers. Antlers may be attached only to a clean skull plate from which all brain and connective tissue has been removed.

I guess I'd interpret that as not even a boiled skull?

Says if it didnt come from a CWD area, any legal method of transport it allowed.

And South Dakota regs say:
  • Whole or partial deer or elk carcasses and head with antlers attached may be transported from a known South Dakota CWD endemic area, or another state, only if delivered to a licensed taxidermist, commercial processor or to the hunter’s domicile and disposed of as described in the CWD disposal regulations.
  • Whole or partial deer or elk carcasses and head with antlers traveling through South Dakota are exempt from this regulation.