BR2 Primers in 7RM

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I did a search and didn’t see what I was looking for.

I found some CCI BR-2’s on Natchez. These primers will be for my first ever attempt at reloading. Am I going to have issues with ignition if I use these primers when developing a load for my 7mm Rem Mag? I’d like the path of least resistance to start in reloading. I have load data on what I want to reload (below) but can’t find the magnum primers right now. Do I wait or am I ok with the BR2’s?

RL22
Barnes 140 grain TTSX
Once fired Norma brass
BR2 primer

- RadDad

Rob5589

WKR
No problems. I'll disagree with Weiser as I have used R22 a bunch with the 7 with nothing but great results. The last was identical to your comps except the BR2 with a straight from Barnes load that shot very well.

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
No problems. I'll disagree with Weiser as I have used R22 a bunch with the 7 with nothing but great results. The last was identical to your comps except the BR2 with a straight from Barnes load that shot very well.
Good to know! That’s where I got my data from. Was able to snag some RL22 a while back and have been waiting on primers to come in stock.

- RadDad

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Proceed with the BR2's. The RL22 will fail to provide good results long before the primers.
Well, dang. Found it on the shelf during all the shortages so maybe that’s why? I have it now so I’ll load with it to at least learn the ropes.

- RadDad

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I wasn’t using br2s in mine but I did use fed 210s with a good stout load of h1000 into well below zero weather with no issues, I believe they are a little hotter primer than the br2 but I would imagine you will be fine. I never used a magnum primer in the 7mag at all come to think of it only a limited number of cci 200s until I ran out and then fed 210s.

I’ve shot several hundred BR2s in a 7 mag. It’ll be a little slower than the magnum primers (maybe 50 fps if I remember) but zero issues and pretty accurate with IMR 4350, Retumbo, H4831, H1000 and the likes. Good luck

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot several hundred BR2s in a 7 mag. It’ll be a little slower than the magnum primers (maybe 50 fps if I remember) but zero issues and pretty accurate with IMR 4350, Retumbo, H4831, H1000 and the likes. Good luck
Stupid question - why slower? Do they ignite faster which ultimately burns the powder faster? As I understand it, the slower the burn, the more pressure is built which turns into more MV.

Thanks for the powder recs. Now only if I could find them!

- RadDad

Stupid question - why slower? Do they ignite faster which ultimately burns the powder faster? As I understand it, the slower the burn, the more pressure is built which turns into more MV.

Thanks for the powder recs. Now only if I could find them!

- RadDad
The magnum primers have a little more juice, ignites the powder a little better.

Check out Hodgdons reloading center online, you’ll find some good recipes.

IMR4350 is usually pretty easy to find. Guys like Retumbo, H1000, H4831 because of temp stability but 4350 is called “the old brown mule” for a reason. Good luck!

Here ya go