Bowtech reign 6

craigrh13

FNG
I found a bowtech reign 6 locally. I don’t know much about them. The guy says he bought it brand new to be a backup now and has never shot it. He wants $560 for it. Bare bow. How would this bow compare to a brand new Bear Alaskan?? I’m just getting back into archery after a many years hiatus. Thanks

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Reign 6 was made in 2018 and 2019. Split limb, 4.3 lbs, 6" brace, 32-5/8 axle to axle, 24"-30" draw length, overdrive binary cams, 350 IBO.
Reign series was right after all of the split limb failures when limbs were made 3rd party, Reign era was about when they went back to in-house and I don't think the Reign was commonly known to have any of the limb failure problems.

I personally think $560 is a bit steep, even for the like new condition. I also would doubt it was never shot, you have to shoot a bow to set it up to be a back up, but still probably very few arrows through it.
And even though it sat a lot without being shot, it likely has a factory string set that is very stretched and will need replaced. 4 or 5 years sitting under tension, it is going to be out of spec. Add $130 or so to the price of the bow for a new string set, plus cost of a shop to install and do a basic tune if you don't have a press.
I'd be more around $400 on price for that bow. Maybe $450 if it is truly "like new" and you really like it.

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
Thank you for the reply. I found a new reign 6 with tags. Never been shot. Guy wants $575. Do you think that is still too steep?

The one I originally asked about has brand new strings.

mod-it gave you some nice facts, here's some opinions:

Performance wise, I don't think Bowtech has released a better bow. I actually regret not buying a Reign 6 when it came out. It was the first bow release that outperformed my beloved Bowtech Insanity with a superior draw cycle. All the newer Bowtech's get you is easier-to-tune features. That said, if a guy knows how to twist cables and yoke tune, you can tune these just as well (in many cases better).

I agree $500+ is steep. I'm seeing lightly used Bowtech Solutions and Revolt X's for $500 now.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the reply. I found a new reign 6 with tags. Never been shot. Guy wants $575. Do you think that is still too steep?

The one I originally asked about has brand new strings.
I'd rather have the first one with brand new strings, especially if the strings aren't factory and are aftermarket strings. Aftermarket strings are pre-stretched and will hold for way longer than factory strings.
I'd still feel better at $450 or so. It is a 5 year old bow that doesn't have Deadlock. While dreamingWest is absolutely correct on being able to tune them well, you have to have your own press or go to a shop to have it done.
I bought a used Revolt-X a year ago for $550. One of Bowtech's best holding bows ever IMO, and has deadlock.
I think $400 to $450 is a pretty fair price for a Reign 6.

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
Thank you for all the help. One more question. Would you go this route over a brand new Bear Alaskan? That was originally what I was looking at. Then someone suggested buying an older lightly used flagship bow.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the help. One more question. Would you go this route over a brand new Bear Alaskan? That was originally what I was looking at. Then someone suggested buying an older lightly used flagship bow.

I know zero about Bear bows, but have read many people's comments that say they are a decent bow. If they'll set it up so you can shoot it a few times, I'd say try it and see what your think.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
The Revolt X is going for 700-900 right now on Ebay.

I bought mine out of the classifieds on AT. But mine is a 60 lbs. bow, I wanted it for target and 3d. 70 lbs limbs would likely get $50-$100 more.

The Revolt X is going for 700-900 right now on Ebay.
A Revolt X just sold on Archery Talk for $500. The same post has a Solution for $500. Very tempting. I should've bought a Solution when it came out as well. I like 32" ata speed bows. Right now I'm shooting a Revolt X waiting on the new releases.

The new Bear Alaskan looks great. The cam looks less aggressive and it has a bit more brace. You'll lose a little speed vs the older Reign 6, but not much. I'd have to shoot both before deciding. And I'd need to know there were zero issues with the older Bowtech.

@wind gypsy just pitched a great deal for a bit more shooter friendly Reign 7.