Bowfishing

My son is turning 14 and wants a Bowfishing rig. Any setups you’d recommend or advise to steer clear of? I have considered just buying the AMS Retriever Pro setup and slapping on his current bow, but I don’t want to deal with constantly swapping out and retuning often.

Also, I haven’t bowfished since I was a teenager myself. Does everyone use string sliders vs a release? If so, why?

FWIW, I’d like to stay around $300.

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
No reason not to use his current rig. No need to change tune. I'm a big fan of the ams reel system. It is no big deal to add or remove. I would remove the sight to prevent damage and to mount the reel. I definitely would not recommend using a release ( i think that is what you are asking). Grip it and rip it. If you are doing lots of shooting and finger blisters is an issue, just wear a thin leather glove like a mechanix. They will protect your hands when handling fish anyways.

We preferred recurves. You can pick up an older one for less than $100 pretty easily. No need for mounting holes. AMS makes a strap on bracket that works great. The lower power of a recurve can actually be a benefit sometimes. Keeps from burying the arrow in the bottom and then having to back the boat up to pull it.

I'm not a pro but we shot a lot of fish when we were big into it. Guided briefly. But I'm too old to stay up half the night now.
41844e2bed47ec7eec17f1ef47550f05.jpg

I ran AMS bottle rigs whit most success. I did not like the muzzy push button real.
‘as for bow just a simple cheap compound will work

WoodBow

WKR
don't get a Zebco reel. you WILL forget to push the button and shoot and see your arrow disappear as the line snaps.
And this is the best case scenario if you forget to push it. Worst case is the line does not break and arrow does a 180 and returns to sender.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
don't get a Zebco reel. you WILL forget to push the button and shoot and see your arrow disappear as the line snaps.
When we first started bowfishing the Zebco Brute was the reel of choice. I read so many stories of broken lines and arrows coming back and hitting people in the face. I bet I pushed that button 1,000 times a night, was like a nervous tick.

The retriever reel was a lot more relaxing.