Bow tuning - Bare shaft vs walkback vs numerous other methods

bartman9

FNG
Newbie here to bow tuning, so be patient. The differences in these two videos is interesting and I have been trying to process the logic behind the difference. Let me see if I understand.

Basically the first one is saying the broadhead is causing the arrow to fly less straight with the fletchings "working" harder to straighten it. If this is true, the fieldpoint has the more accurate flight than the broadhead so you want to move the BH to the FP.

The second video is saying the broadhead actually acts like fletchings and helps if to fly straighter. If this is true, the broadhead actaully has the straighter flight so you want to move the FP to BH.

Still processing all of this ...let me know if I am thinking clearly.

Newbie here to bow tuning, so be patient. The differences in these two videos is interesting and I have been trying to process the logic behind the difference. Let me see if I understand.

Basically the first one is saying the broadhead is causing the arrow to fly less straight with the fletchings "working" harder to straighten it. If this is true, the fieldpoint has the more accurate flight than the broadhead so you want to move the BH to the FP.

The second video is saying the broadhead actually acts like fletchings and helps if to fly straighter. If this is true, the broadhead actaully has the straighter flight so you want to move the FP to BH.

I didn't go back and rewatch the two videos posted earlier in this thread, but I'd say your first statement is more accurate.

If the path traveled during the shot by the nocking point on the string is horizontally or vertically misaligned with the arrow rest, the arrow will leave the bow at an angle with the point left/right of the nock (if the misalignment is in the horizontal plane) or with the point above/below the nock (if vertically misaligned). The angle at which the arrow leaves the bow is the same for both BH and FP, but the effect of that initial launch angle on downrange flight and ultimate point of impact is magnified with a BH because a BH has more surface area and therefore greater ability to counteract the fletching and keep the arrow flying at the initial launch angle longer. So I guess you could say FP flight is "straighter," but by tuning you're really just trying to correct the initial launch angle so BH and FP will hit together.

Broadheads do act like fletchings, but they are on the wrong end. Just like airplanes and rockets you wouldnt have those three tail wings on the nose.

if you took fletching off an arrow with a broadhead and shot it, itd do a u turn essentially.