bow string question

Vernon

FNG
I just bought a couple new strings from a very reputable traditional company near my hometown. I'm not an expert in any way with strings so have a question on my new strings. ALL of my past strings (fastflight) have been twisted all the way. so basically from the serving up it is twisted all the way up to the end loops. When I change brace height I just twist or untwist. HOWEVER, with both my new strings above the servings there is very few, minimal if any, twist until close to the end of the string loops at which point it is twisted quite a bit for the last 10 inches or so . Is this normal? Am I good to go? If I take to many twists out of the string the strings are basically straight from the serving till the twist towards the end of the string. If that makes any sense. Clear as mud. Thanks in advance.

oldgoat

WKR
That sounds sketchy and I do understand what you're saying. But a picture would help to know for sure! In the body of the string I look for there to be about two twists per inch roughly.

wytx

WKR
I think the twists will even out when you put them on the bow. Put it on the bow but don't string it yet and straighten out the twists . They likely wrapped the serving around untwisted fibers of the string. The twists should move down the string towards the serving when strung.

Rob5589

WKR
^^^^ That's what I was thinking, too. Twist it up, take several shots, it'll likely "even out." That's what I've seen on new strings I've used.

OP
V

Vernon

FNG
thank you guys for replying! Going to fling a few arrows and keep checking on them. Thanks again for all you help

LostArra

WKR
Pardon the interruption and I don't mean this to sound like a smart a**.

For traditional bow shooters it's really helpful to learn to make your own strings.
It's not difficult especially if you can see it done once in person.
If a guy or gal can fletch arrows, then they can twist up a bow string.
Just a thought

Wrench

WKR
Clay hayes has a good video on making them without a jig. I have two nails on a wall that I use for making my own for 58-64" bows. It is very easy.....and super cheap. A single spool of string will last a family a lifetime. Ps, do spend the extra few bucks on the beiter winder.....it's better in every way.

Pps, you can buy whisker material from fishing jig suppliers for pennies. 10 foot rolls are about what you pay for single string packs.

wytx

WKR
Pardon the interruption and I don't mean this to sound like a smart a**.

For traditional bow shooters it's really helpful to learn to make your own strings.
It's not difficult especially if you can see it done once in person.
If a guy or gal can fletch arrows, then they can twist up a bow string.
Just a thought
I would rather support a good string maker then buy materials to make 1 string every few years, but a good point if someone has the inkling to make their own.

I use neck hair off my cow bison for puffs, it's wiry and doesn't seem to absorb moisture very easily. I mix it with alpaca wool I bought at a farmer's market, bag of loose fibers that works great also.

Btaylor

WKR
Raw sheeps wool works pretty well also and the lanolin in the wool keeps them pretty moisture repellent.