Bow Sights for Big Game Hunting?

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good day everyone. I am back once again to seek expert advice on bow sights. I have recently purchased bow #2 (prime) and want to set it up for hunting elk, etc. I already have a bow setup for whitetail but i am sure that i will use both for whitetail and or elk. I live in North Alabama so a lot of my hunting is tree stand hunting and shots are not very far. I don't have a place to really practice long distant shots plus 45 yards and farther are outside my comfort zone. My first bow has a trophy ridge site. 3 pins and works just fine. I have often wondered about the sights that allow you to adjust the yardage for one of the pins in real time but to me there seems like there would be just too many things that could go wrong at least in my mind. Money is not an issue but no point in spending a ton of money if not needed. I think I have decided that I want to stay with fixed pins and perhaps use a 4 pin sight. 20 30 40 and 50 yards. It is all about the practice anyways no matter what you have. I have looked at all brands of sights and of course everyone has their own opinion about each one. I really like the trophy ridge brand. they seem like a good brand to me. I know you have axcel, cbe, spot hogg, etc. I am going to experiment with a heavier arrow setup with this new bow as well. So just tell me what you think about the sights and I will do more research and go from there. what about color sequence and why? what about pin dia. and why? Thanks everyone

I'm a Montana Black Gold sights fan. I use the 5 pin sliders. I don't have to dial until past 60 yds. Top pin is .019 and the rest are .010. Pin colors are G,G,R,G,G. I can't see yellow pins.

3 pin slider sounds like it would be best of both worlds 20,30,40 or 30,40,50 and use the bottom pin as your mover. I always use a .010 on my movable pin, green red green for me too. spot hogg, black gold or HHA all make nice sights I have a 3 pin black gold on order now.

Gumbo

WKR
I run a Spot Hogg Hunter and an MBG Ascent. I go 6-pin on both GGYGGR and would suggest as others going in an easy pattern of GGYGG or GGRGG with 5 pins. As for size I like 0.019 for 20, 30, and 40 but 0.010 beyond that. If I were setting up a three-pin setup for someone (which I wouldn't recommend) I would likely make the rover (40 yarder) a 0.010 pin and go GGG.

I have and really like the MBG sites. Like you, my favorites are the fix pins. all of MBGs are bright and seem bomb proof. For what it's worth, you can go on S&S Archery's web site and build your custom 4 pin site with the color and pin size you desire. Pretty easy.

If you like it run what you have. It's not the sight it's the shooter. Don't sweat the long range thing, if you aren't comfortable past 45 yards, thats far enough anyway(plenty long range for me)

That said, I shoot an Axcel armortech pro 7 pin. Great sight and adjusts like a rifle scope.

Last edited:
If all my shooting was going to be 50 yards and in I'd just get a 3 pin sight and set it at 30, 40, 50. Personally I don't have much use for dialing a sight (unless it's a single pin) until things are out past 60-70 yards. I use an Option 6 with an oval housing so I have my fixed 5 pins that never change and have the floating pin I can use for practicing out to 100 yards. It works for me but I'm shooting 72lb's with a 28.5" draw using 450-500gr arrows out of bows that IBO at 320 and 336 fps. Not particularly amazing stats, but knowing what people shooting does help in deciding how relevant the info is to you.

kicker338

WKR
I'm a strong believer in the EZV sight, if you haven't herd of it do a search type in EZV. The sight rings are marked from 20 to 80 yds. but if you don't want to shoot over 50yds. you can remove the paint on the 60, 70, and 80yd. marks

I'm using the Opposition Air, by Schaffer Performance Archery. The sight weighs only 4 oz. And is a fixed 4 pin, I dont know the actual diameter but they are pretty dang sharp and super bright. The sight picture is very nice because the pins come from both the left and right sides of the housing. All the stuff they make has a lifetime warranty, which is pretty cool considering that it's a small family owned shop here in MN.

I also like a 3 pin slider. I have a new prime with a MBG 3 pin. I set it the 3 pins 30 40 50
The entire housing slides, not just a floater pin... it’s very solid! I can shoot to 100 yards without my arrow rubbing the housing. I would personally be hesitant to shoot game animals at over 50 yds, but it is a lot of fun and good practice shooting 50-100 yds on the range! Plus if you have to put a second arrow in an animal at far range you will have time and ability to dial up to make the long shot. The Montana black gold ascent gives you this option

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
Our family shot the BlackGold 5 pin for years best fiber optics for low light conditions , dark timber, on the market..period...We just upgraded to the BlackGold PURE..it is a 5 pin adjustable.....You sight in to sixty yds and the archery shop shoots the arrow through a chronograph gets the feet per second, weighs the arrow etc. a computer program calculates the arrow flight and provides a printed graph from base line 60yds out to 100yds you use the last pin and turn the wheel pointer to dial in the range past 60yds. Say you range an animal at 76yds you turn the wheel arrow pointer to 76yds on the graph and you are dialed in perfectly to your range....using your last pin fricken high tech awesome..

87TT

WKR
MBG 5 pin slider dove tail. Can set all three axis and sight picture through the peep.

Broadhead

FNG
I just bought a BlackGold Pro 5-pin slider with the Wing-Truss Dovetail and I'm really enjoying it. I made the switch from a Trophy-Ridge 4-pin fixed sight (5th pin broke and I never fixed it). I never plan on take a shot over 60 yards, but I like the idea of being able to practice at long distance and hone my accuracy for closer shots. This also helps for 3D shoots. Having the dovetail helps extend the sight further from the riser and makes you more accurate with a smaller sight picture. Aim small, miss small.. Or so they say.

Tsarbomba

Lil-Rokslider
Always a single pin for me. Had HHA .019 and this year went to a CBE .010 night and day really. Both good, but the quality of the cbe and the dot itself are much better quality

KHNC

WKR
Surprised the Option 6 from www.optionarchery.com has not been mentioned. Has 5 fixed pins and a slider. The gang pins can be rotated out of the way for a single pin 20-100 yd shot too. I love it so much i bought 3 of them