Bow hunt in NL

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for advice on going to Newfoundland with a bow in 23 or 24. I don't see many pictures of people shooting them with bows. Would doing the fly in option be better that the drive in? Have any of you got them with a bow?
My max comfortalbe range is about 35 yards, so I need them close. I've talk to the outfitters and they say come for the bow season that way we are first out and no one has spooked all of the moose around. Also it is prime for spot and stalk because they should still be in the summer patterns.
Any information and advice is greatly appreciated.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
MLB,
Shot my moose in ‘22 at about 50 yards with my 308 in NewfoundLand outside Cowhead…. Would go with a bow in a NYM if I like using one. Flew in, nice camp with cooked meals, reasonably priced for moose in my opinion. Had a bull or cow tag that was included .
Headed back next year to the same spot as,
1. I had a great trip.
2. Guide was interesting to be around, and knowledgeable in moose and bear hunting.
3. Everyone had an opportunity.
4. The master guide and his wife were outstanding in every way.

Moose was flown out on day 3 for processing and was ready for me to take home when I arrived back in town.
Good hunting

Took me 8 days to find a Moose in NL. We drove 100's of miles on their back road system.
Couldn't imagine bow hunting one.

Boston1

FNG
35 yards is a good ethical distance for deer sized critters. I would still practice in 10 yard increments out to 100 yards. Use a rangefinder. When that bull steps out it'll look like a greyhound bus and easy to misjudge distance. I would also take your favorite rifle as a back up plan-- or a second bow. Would suck to go all that way and have a string break....

keller

WKR
Closest I got to a moose was 200 yds. But one guy thought he was going to get run over by a bull coming to a call .just depends. It can be done.just the odds are much lower

Boston1

FNG
Closest I got to a moose was 200 yds. But one guy thought he was going to get run over by a bull coming to a call .just depends. It can be done.just the odds are much lower
I hear ya-- that's hunting. If I'm lucky and carrying a bow then they'll be just out of range. If I'm carrying the sniper rifle then they'll be under 30 yards.

vdocLU164

FNG
I just went in October 2022. My plan was to hunt with the bow and bring a rifle as a back up incase I couldn't get close. I hunted 4 days strictly with the bow. Day 4 I had a fork horn bull come to about 80 yards. If he came in to 65 yards I would have shot since I regularly practice in my yard to 75 yards. Day 5 we had really bad fog and couldn't take the boats out to cross the lake and the guide said where he wanted to walk to was super thick until we got to a couple bogs that opened up and he recommended me bring the rifle for that walk. I should have never listened as we got to a small bog he hit the call and a bull grunted and came running into 35 yards broadside and I dropped him... moral of the story if you want to do it with the bow only bring a bow!

Trial153

WKR
I am 3/4 bow hunting moose in NL and 1/1 bow hunting caribou. The one hunt I was unsuccessful was only because I was being picky. I still had a couple easy shot opportunity’s. But with my dads moose on the ground, an Elk and and early season deer already I was off to a good fall bow hunting and few more hunts lined up. As it was I ended up buying a third freezer.

Bowhunting NL is definitely doable. And as any bowhunts bringing a rifle will almost ensure a lack of a successful bow hunt. If you want to bow hunt them commit to bowhunting from start to finish.

Boston1

FNG
I just went in October 2022. My plan was to hunt with the bow and bring a rifle as a back up incase I couldn't get close. I hunted 4 days strictly with the bow. Day 4 I had a fork horn bull come to about 80 yards. If he came in to 65 yards I would have shot since I regularly practice in my yard to 75 yards. Day 5 we had really bad fog and couldn't take the boats out to cross the lake and the guide said where he wanted to walk to was super thick until we got to a couple bogs that opened up and he recommended me bring the rifle for that walk. I should have never listened as we got to a small bog he hit the call and a bull grunted and came running into 35 yards broadside and I dropped him... moral of the story if you want to do it with the bow only bring a bow!
I hear ya. Eventually I will do it. This being my first trip I want to take all my toys just in case!