Bou skull cap tool

What are you using to cut the skull cap on your caribou? Im looking for lightweight options. If it doubles as a wood saw, even better.

mooster

WKR
I took a wyoming saw that included a wood and also a metal cutting blade for skull work. I ended up keeping the skull intact, and cut the horns off. I later euro'd the skull and pegged the antlers to reattach to the skull. our transporter wouldn't allow intact head & antlers on the plane so that was my solution as I didn't intend to do a shoulder mount.

for moose camp I use a hand pruning saw w/more aggressive cutting blade (13") and scabbard as many creeks we try to navigate have blow downs we portage over and need limb cleaning.

but for bou, something like this might work for you..."MOSSY OAK 3 in 1 Folding Saw, Pruning Hand Saw with Wood, Metal and PVC Blade, Camping Saw for Backpacking, Hunting and Bushcraft, Pouch Included $17.99 on Amazon"

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
Silky saws are great. I have cut a fair bit of wood with mine and have read that they work fine on bone also (Like Dia10x said). I'm not too sure they would work well for the reassembly of a euro mount like what Twincedar described due to the width of cut. Just for capping the skull they should work well.

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hardware store and grab a Stanley all-purpose wood saw like grandpaw used to build the shed. Light AF, unbreakable and highly effective, not to mention flat AF. Cheap too