Borah Bivy with foorless tent?

D.W.T

FNG
I'm hoping to get some first hand insight concerning a Borah Bivy. I'm looking to pair it with a SO Silvertip in the Brooks Range this fall, but am unsure if it would need to be paired with an additional ground cloth or if it generally sturdy enough to use without? If needed I could pair it with a Maty McMat Face. The battle to shave ounces is real, thanks in advance for any advice!

Will it help it last longer with a ground cloth, yes.

Is it worth the weight penalty, no, not IMHO. You can patch any holes if it bothers you.

Last edited:

kphunter

FNG
I use mine without a ground cloth, or sometimes I throw half a foam pad under my upper body.
It’s worked great for me.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I use mine without a groundsheet. No holes yet. Agree with above, hasn’t been worth the weight penalty to me.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
Another tidbit- Sometimes I get condensation inside the bivy. I recently switched to the full mesh version to try to avoid that.

slatty

WKR
I always use a tyvek sheet with mine. I haven't tried without so I can't say if it doesn't need it. It's just so nice on that, a little additional protection and a little extra few inches to lay out some stuff at night. I don't know ounces but it weights nothing and folds down small. I'll keep carrying that.

I’ll carry a 6’x4’ piece of .3 mil painters plastic to use as a ground sheet in my floorless shelter and a Borah Bivy. If the ground is wet, it’s really nice to be able to organize gear on and generally keep the inside of the mid clean and dry. It only weighs like 4 oz. But what it’s really good for is processing meat on. If the terrain allows, you can set the quarters on it and de bone everything without getting dirt, moss, etc. on the meat. Then if I’m packing out a cape, it gets used to wrap that in. Multi purpose, light and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use polycro groundsheets made out of window insulation film with any backpacking tent. It weighs 1 ounce, costs less than $10, takes up less space than tyvek, helps protect your floor or bivy, keeps mud off stuff, and is useful when breaking down game.

rclouse79

WKR
I use my Borah Bivy without a ground cloth in my Cimmaron with no problems. I had a six inch strip of bug netting running down the center of the bivy in a custom order. It is worth it. I bought another regular one and sold it after one use because the condensation was so bad.

OP
D.W.T

D.W.T

FNG
I wouldn’t have expected condensation inside the bivy to be such an issue. My sleeping bag is a Marmot Phase 20 and while it’s treated down, moisture would be a concern. I think the netting strip down the center is a great idea!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Borah also makes a ‘hybrid’ bivy that combines the two. They’ll custom see it for you. Dig around on here and you can read about them and guys’ experience with them.